Bees Nest Legal Situation

I live in a house and my neighbours live in their houses, and there are weeds from abandoned plots, bees, wasps and hornets and all sorts of minor inconveniences. It’s called the countryside.

When things get too close we ask politely, and often help fix the problem. So would ask if we can strim the other side of our boundary - we wouldn’t just go and do it. Mind you, still waiting for a hornet’s nest 100m away to be dealt with

2 Likes

@Deniseminton

If you haven’t already done so… send a brief email to your Mairie, explaining that you are stuck in UK but coming out when you are able to.

Mention you’ve heard about the bees and ask if there is a local beekeeper who might like to take a look and do the necessary… if the bees haven’t left of their own accord.

Around here, beekeepers are very helpful relocating swarms.

(No need to mention weeds and/or your neighbours actions… let things calm down until you get here… it’s the bees which are more important.)

9 Likes

Got your grumpy pants on back to front today John ? :wink:

3 Likes

@Stella ever the voice of reason :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Great question, welcome to SF :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Denise and welcome to the forum. It is so tough when you have been stuck away but sounds like you have a trip planned very shortly so you can get everything sorted out. I would second what Stella said and email the mairie. I’m sure local beekeepers will happily come and get the bees and sounds like if she has had someone in to cut yoru weeds that is at least sorted for the moment. I’m presuming she will hit you with the bill!

Perhaps worth finding a local handyman that can come and sort the garden when you can’t make it out.

I must say mine are quite bad this year with all the rain we have had plus we’ve had terrible luck with our mowers breaking down and family dramas! Luckily our neighbours know that we have loads going on and don’t seem to bothered it isn’t up to their standards!

Deary me crikey @John_Scully never seen you so grumpy!

5 Likes

On mature reflection and with due consideration… I stand by my posts. :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t think fighting with one’s neighbours from afar is a nice thing to do and I don’t think the local taxes one has to pay, be they in your principal or other homes, has any relevance.

So, I have decided to sulk for a while :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Looks to me that that’s another promising new member we may have lost…

8 Likes

On top of your strong comments, there is no fight, talking tabloid is really tedious and unnecessary.

3 Likes

Hi Denise and welcome!

Firstly, don’t take offence at what you’ve read here :slight_smile: – and especially not at your neighbour’s requests, because a lot gets lost in translation!

Speak to your Mairie, because that shows you’re a responsible citizen (your neighbour has probably already done likewise), and I expect you’ll find them quite reasonable. Your circumstances (particularly since you can’t just have a look at the “bees nest”, but will perhaps have to pay for someone to do it) may mean that you incur additional costs when dealing with problems on your property, but that’s one of the “joys” of having a second home.

Do you have any other neighbours who might help? If not, you’ll have to be guided by the Mairie, I think.

EDIT: In fact, just what @Stella said!!

5 Likes

Kudos to @Deniseminton for your consideration of the bees, by far the most important party in this situation :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Fascinating to observer the bee-keepers at work. These lovely buzzers decided to swarm at the top of a very tall chimney… with no way to put a tempting holiday-home up close to them, not this time.

The swarm took quite a few days to tempt down into a “mobile” hive and off to safe surroundings.

1 Like

Hi Denise and welcome.

Kudos to you for trying to help the bees. I think you’re great. What @Stella said is the best advice and like @graham said, she is the voice of reason, and not just on this discussion, (:hugs::kissing_heart:).
Your mairie will most likely be very supportive and appreciate your efforts to deal with the situation especially as many people are now realising the importance of saving bees.

You may not think it right now, and I understand why, but @John_Scully is usually a lovely chap so please don’t be put off by his comments. Everyone has bad days.

SFN is a great site and what people don’t know here could fit on the back of a postage stamp!

@John_Scully “chacun a raison de son propre point de vue, mais il n’est pas impossible que tout le monde ait tort” Ghandi :pray::hugs:

7 Likes

We often have wild bees in one of our walls. I like it - when they swarm it is absolutely spectacular, forming a living sphere in the air then zooming off who knows where. Is it a problem?

I was co-incidentally reading the other day about how we should stop thinking of some animals as ‘pests’, and be more accepting of them simply as ‘wildlife’.

6 Likes

I have to say, in all the years I’ve been on SF that is the first time I’ve seen @John_Scully bite! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

9 Likes

Me too.

2 Likes

And me.
Though I’m reassured by his subsequent self-mocking “So, I have decided to sulk for a while.”

7 Likes

It was late so maybe a glass too many of the sauce?

1 Like

Thanks @Corona . I hope to sort this in friendly way with my neighbour but she can be erratic at times

1 Like

YOu have all restored my faith in SF and even of @John_Scully. I am very sad that I am “hunky dorey” in the UK even thought I have volunteered over 200 hours at a Covid Vaccination clinic. I really want to be in France at my “second home” seeing my lovely French Neighbours etc. Thank you all again for your support and words of encouragement. Stay safe and see you all soon :rainbow::sunglasses:

10 Likes