Bees Nest Legal Situation

I would be proud if someone French accused me of being a little Hitler in a yellow jacket

1 Like

@David_Spardo David, I did wonder if that was the reason for the mistaken identity :rofl:. Moustache now safely dispatched to ensure this does not happen again. With regards to the “unfriendly” neighbour. I have received yet another missive (nice way of describing it) TELLING me I have to get the next destroyed immediately as there are children playing nearby and her doctor has told her if she gets another sting she might die! I suspect she may be a tad dramatic and also forgetting that she lives in the countryside. Apparently “my bees” are very naughty and might sting her. Oh dear, I have to get to France asap as I do need to talk very sternly to the :honeybee: :honeybee: as they don’t realise what mayhem they are causing!

1 Like

@KarenLot Karen, I did have a little spring in my step which suddenly changed into a certain march! Joking aside, what an offence :wink:

Who is letting these children play in your property? :roll_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Does your moronic neighbour (who I hope is carrying an epipen and wearing a medic alert bracelet at all times) have any fruit trees in her garden?

If so how does she plan to get them pollinated without bees? Rather than forcing people to destroy nests there is a national government strategy to encourage wild bees and other insect pollinators…

I just hope ahe is not your mayor’ sister…

3 Likes

It would be really good if the beekeeper or whoever visits could provide a photo of the offending bees.

If the bees are not a variant of concern then this would make things much easier.

Your neighbour, on the other hand, needs thought given to a longterm neutralisation project. Otherwise you will always have problems.

If it was me I would go and have a chat as soon as I am back and also keep an eye out so as to chat to anyone that might become her carer or be someone who influences her. If they know you are a reasonable person that may help.

2 Likes

hmmmm :thinking:

1 Like

I agree John, she is referring to another neighbour who I am sure is not bothered as they had bees in their wall for a long time before they decided to leave (the bees not the neighbours). I am sure the other neighbours accept bees, insects and other animals all part of the joy of living in the middle of the vineyards and fields. We inherited a Stone Marten which was a dreadful nuisance as it decided that our eves was a lovely des res toilet but we did not kill it, we just plaything the radio loudly each time we visited together with some garlic oil and it moved on to barns new!

I’m not sure she will want to chat after the rather “assertive” email I am about to send. I feel compelled to send this as I do not want her killing the bees! We have heard from the one bee keeper now but disappointingly he is not interested in helping as he thinks the nest is under our tiles. I am hoping the Marie will supply contacts of other bee keepers who might offer help. Thanks for your comments @KarenLot

I agree @JaneJones Jane. She has lovely vines growing over her pergola . I think she might have a battle from the local farmers who grow millions of sunflowers as well as vines in our area - they love and need the bees as we all do. I will be sure to mention the medic alert bracelet and epi pen in my email! It will be interesting to hear what she says when I suggest she really ought to wear one :wink:

1 Like

Just because someone doesn’t say what you want to hear, that doesn’t mean they are unfriendly. In fact now that you’ve said that for most of the year you aren’t there, and presumably the garden is therefore left to do what it wants, including spreading weeds to your neighbours, I can see that your neighbour has reason to complain. Perhaps a solution might be to employ a caretaker or gardener to make sure your 2nd home isn’t making life harder for your elderly neighbour.
For your own sake as much as hers. Generating problems and ill feeling isn’t conducive to having a nice holiday, Plus, you never know if someone might set the place alight if they hate you enough. It happens.

@Grey_Witch please note the request made in another thread about completing your registration. Thanks

1 Like

I caught this monster loudly dive bombing around the house yesterday. They can live their lives outside but not in my dance space so it had to go.
It was 4 or 5 times bigger than a normal wasp but looks the same. Is it one of the dreaded Asian Hornets?

If it looked the same as a “wasp” only bigger, it was possibly not Asian. Asians have much more black than yellow…

also, Asians are larger than Wasps, but smaller than our native Frelons.

EDIT: looking again at your picture @John_Hall the “feelers” of your insect seem to match those of the native Frelon… ie pinkish with grey ends… but, who knows…

Incidentally, with our native frelons, if I can’t capture it in a jar, I open the windows and close the door … and then let it gently discover the “exit”.

1 Like

Plus the triangle on its back.
@JohnBoy If you don’t want hornets around, the time to manage them is back in March when the queens are beginning to come out. If it was just us I’d leave them alone, but these days we have gite guests, so early in the year I hang out traps in the trees and fill them with Liptons peach tea (I was told the hornets like it!) Seems to help keep the number of nests down.

1 Like

Would the Lidl version not do? So much cheaper :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Is that with, or without a twist of lemon?

1 Like

Until you come across one of these

Personally, I wouldn’t pick one up… just get a large jar and a postcard …

I didn’t think they existed in Europe!