Behaviour warning signs

Sadly we have become used to notices in NHS medical centres warning people that abusive language will not be tolerated. Can anyone please let me know how this compares in France ? Are staff having to deal with abusive and threatening language, resorting to having to put up notices, or are french citizens far more respectful towards staff ?

I think most admin buildings, (employment, CAF, tax) have notices stating that inappropriate &/or abusive behaviour will not be tolerated

2 Likes

A good sign is that pole emploi don’t have bouncers on the door…yet

I agree, they seem commonplace these days in lots of public-facing service places in France. BTW neighbours have begun to offer the hand in salutation again, not all, but several close neighbours certainly. I was taken by surprise, but was unable to refuse the gesture. Would you? :thinking::lock::slightly_frowning_face:

Depends on the area. There are areas of france which face similar problems to those in the UK.

could be converted to a fist bump though…

1 Like

Saw someone touch elbows la st week… but that was a first… and possibly last… since the latest news… of a new cluster.

Could be, but I’m more inclined to take the risk and get to the hand gel pronto sans toucher la gueule. :smirk:

After three months in lock-down UK as an at-risk (70+) detainee, my wife is still at the disinfecting door knobs stage, and sanitising tins and bottles from the local supermarché :blush:

I’ve not refused a handshake during the whole period of confinement.
Strangely, perhaps, I took it as a sign of mutual trust.
Maybe not everyone would see it that way.

@Codfanglers

“Strangely, perhaps, I took it as a sign of mutual trust”.

It’s not strange. Poignée de main is the symbol of trust par excellence.

But contamination is not a matter of trust: an Infectious friend may be wholly innocent and ignorant of the fact that he can pass on a potentially deadly disease. He would never enjoy the intimacy of touched hands if he knew what his touch might mean. And would never trust himself if you were ill as a result of that poignée.

'Maybe not everyone would see it that way."

Perhaps some would have good reason not to?

2 Likes

I think it would depend on the situation, as I generally avoid handshakes anyway (pre-covid) as can be painful. Bit now I would also want to wash my hands pretty quickly, so if I could discretely do that shortly afterwards then maybe fine.

Have I missed an update on social distancing?
My local pharmacy have removed all the SD requirements, but hand sanitiser still on all the counters :thinking:

We are no longer officially in a situation of “Crise Sanitaire”. I noticed the same in Carrefour today, the trolleys blocking the payment till accesses have gone, but the screens are still up.

Our local pharmacy still limiting access. Good for them. Had to go to the CHU in Libourne yesterday and all staff and patients wearing masks and a one way system in operation going to and coming from a consultation externe.

1 Like

Back to the topic! They will need signs in buses now after the murder of a driver. I was always slightly bemused by such signs, wondering why somebody who thinks it is acceptable to abuse others just doing their job should see a sign and alter their behaviour.

I suppose from the disgruntled passenger’s point of view, they are dealing with an over officious Jobsworth.
Violence is rarely justifiable outside a boxing ring (some would say inside also) but there is no logic in it, because it didn’t get these people to where they wanted to go.
Yesterday I watched (BBC TV) a very nice fireman who had been assaulted in the course of his duties. He said that these incidents usually happen in deprived areas. His answer was to take action to improve the lives and opportunities of those people. He didn’t think increased penalties would make a difference, “They don’t spend a lot of time studying sentencing guidelines.”

1 Like