Being a Self Employed Electrician in France

If you know which area you’re moving to, then you could try contacting the Chambre des Métiers, as they are generally responsible for overseeing and registering trades and crafts. The difficulty might be finding someone who speaks English though, if you don’t speak any French. In addition to the usual French requirements for electricians, they should be able to advise you on the latest certs that might be needed for all of the renewable /alternative energy management systems that are being installed in homes these days.

2 Likes

I buy mine at a PO or tabac - just as a point of principle - every little helps and all that. Use it or lose it…!

5 Likes

In general I agree with you…but our PO was closed completely during last confinement so I had no choice but to use the postman instead.

Thankfully the tabacs weren’t !!

1 Like

My brother in law is a UK electrician and has a house in France several years ago he put his own consumer unite then he got the electric company to come along and test it. I thought something would be said as the old consumer unite was hanging of one of the fuses but nothing said passed ok

My son is try to go through the proses as a plasterer he need NVQ 3 or equivalent or prof of 5 years as self employed form the HMRC prof he lives in France and of course it has to be translated into French by signatory they don’t make it easy. My advise is to get someone who does it for a living.

1 Like

Timbres fiscaux Lily, I should have put that in brackets :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Blimey I’ve only just seen this. I have been on the forum a few years and had one guy be abusive - the comment was flagged up (not by me, I hadn’t even seen it) within hours. Mostly, this is quite a useful forum.

Rules and regs are very different and EDF conformity certs can be a pain in the neck. But that doesn’t mean you can’t find a way into the trade in France. And right now, there’s a lot of construction going on - lack of supply of housing in all big cities. I see quite a lot of funding applications.

I wonder if anyone doing a renovation project could ask their sparkies?

And you might find this useful on the legalities of setting up as self-employed. https://www.legalstart.fr/fiches-pratiques/devenir-travailleur-independant/devenir-electricien-independant/

Best of luck.

BTW only one pizza certificate is pretty poor. Our local ‘Miss Pizz’ has three!

1 Like

As I am a pedant I have to mention that neither EDF, nor ENEDIS, issue any form of conformité paperwork. The job of inspecting an installation & the issuing an Attestation de Conformité is the work of CONSUEL.

4 Likes

Thanks for the correction! The multiplicity of bodies involved with electricity is itself its own nightmare :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not just electricity either! Health, SS, setting up a business etc - every one of these have at least 3 websites / names etc :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You’ll need to get your qualifications recognised in France and probably complete a course about running a business.

It shouldn’t be that difficult, you need to contact the Chambre des Metiers who will be able to tell you in more detail what you need to do.

Working as an artisan you’ll also need to have 10 year guarantee insurance for your work.