Being Irish is

Irishness is...
That mini heart attack you get if you go out and forget to turn off the immersion
You're not drinking? Are you on antibiotics?
Wallpaper on your school books
Being Grand!
Boil everything in a huge pot for 3 hours
Paschal Sheehey RTE news
Being absolutely terrified of a wooden spoon
Learning a language for 12 years and not being fluent
Going mental at concerts because famous people rarely come over
Flat 7UP heals all illnesses
Calling Joe Duffy instead of the Guards

Came across this on Facebook today and some of these brought back memories, especially the wallpaper coverings on school books.

We used to swim in Sandycove too, rain or shine in summer. I nearly drowned once in Sandycove baths! One the way home we bought a penny toffee bar in O'Neill's shop. Ah, memories.....

Thanks for that, Celeste. I didn't forget anyone, it was meant as a starter, so that you could add to it. However, as far as I know, Mary Shelley is not Irish. And I didn't forget Synge! :-)

No I was from Dublin 8 but have a lot of family out on the south coast. When we were kids we used to frequent Sandycove and Dun Laoghaire and that outside swimming in Blackrock.

After our Debs we all headed to Sandycove for the beach and a Teddy's..those were the days.

Thanks Celeste for list of Irish Nobel prize winners. Now, famous Irish authors: Bram Stoker, Oscar Wilde, James Joyce, Seamus Heaney, Sam Beckett, W.B. Yeates, J.M. Synge, George Bernard Shaw, Brendan Beehan, Patrick Kavanagh, Dean Swift...........

Hi Helen. I lived in Mount Merrion, so we went to Blackrock Baths - just as cold. If we were feeling adventurous (and could wheedle some pocket money from the Ma), we would walk to Dun Laoghaire and queue for the 99-er from Teddys!

Teddy's 99s. You must have lived in Dun Laoghaire. If so what about swimming the the Dun Laoghaire baths in freezing cold water!

Of course it does. And think of all the vitamins in every glass of wine. :-)

TWO IRISH WOMEN IN A BAR

Two women were sitting next to each other in a bar.After a while, one looks at the other and says, 'I can't help but think, from listening to you, that you're from Ireland ...'
The other woman responds proudly, 'Yes, I sure am!'

The other woman answers, 'I'm from Dublin , I am.
The first one responds, 'So, am I!! And what street did you live on in Dublin ?'
The other woman says, 'A lovely little area. It was in the west end. I lived on Warbury Street in the old central part of town.'
The first one says, 'Faith, and it's a small world. So did I! So did I! And what school did ya go to?'

The other woman answers, 'Well now, I went to Holy Heart of Mary, of course.'

The first one gets really excited and says, 'And so did I! Tell me, what year did you graduate?'
The other woman answers, 'Well, now, let's see. I graduated in 1964.'

The first woman exclaims, 'The Good Lord must be smiling down upon us! I can hardly believe our good luck at winding up in the same pub tonight! Can you believe it? I graduated from Holy Heart of Mary in 1964 meself!'

About this time, Michael walks into the bar, sits down, and orders a beer.

Brian, the bartender, walks over to Michael shaking his head and mutters, 'It's going to be a long night tonight.'

Michael asks, 'Why do you say that, Brian?'

Brian answers, 'The Murphy twins are pissed again'.

Oh yes re the wallpaper - it happened in our household too. And club orange - counts as part of your five a day surely?

first thing I buy in Dublin airport every trip, club orange and taytos. I'm over right now, had a bag for breakfast, haha.

I also have a thing for galtee processed cheese, in bread, dipped in a good mug of tea. With all the proper cheese in France,you'd think I grew out of it..... nope.

Hmmm yep Perry's blue bag parchment...my secrets out, they say you are what you eat!

John Hume was one...anyways lets get back to crisps..you can't beat an Irish sense of humor who else can be so self depreciating?

So let's drag ourselves out of the gutter that Bruce seems to think we inhabit! :-)

Here's a quick test for you. Name all the Irish Nobel prize winners.

And Zoe (groan) did you have to mention Jedward?! Ok, then there's Ryanair, hated by most but used by most.

Fran, who remembers Tayto crisps and the other one, was it Perrys crisps?

be me fortycoats and me fifty pockets, haha.

People actually say the letters now, O M G. I find this so sad. Well, pathetic,actually.

i prefer the old fashioned way of saying "go way" when someone says something you find hard to fathom.

one thing that embarasses me, JEDWARD. Jesus, won't someone please shoot them

my stomach is like a washin machine dismornin,lads.

twas brewers droop, no?? I think it was.

bosco, and the good ole plonksters.

I know people who have small children who are growing up with British accents from watching UK telly.Odd. Meanwhile, all the teenagers are gone american, and all the folk in their mid 20's try to sound like marian finucane.

I can still smell that distinctive incense smell of the Dandeline on a Saturday...what about 'I had so much drink

last night I'm as sick as a small hospital' and then there is Brewers droop or is it drip?

scuttered, rat-arsed, and sh1tfaced.

oh, and waking up "in the rats"....

"that film was CAT"

"face like a camel's arse"

Lol. Not forgetting our friends in the animal kingdom! I was elephants, I was pissed as a newt. Not forgetting the swearing: The dog's boll**x..., please remind me, I know there are more! :-D

jaysus, a shed load, I'd buckets of it,myself. haha.

flutered, buckled, and sideways, or as my cork friend says "langballed"

Not forgetting the garden shed " I had a shed load of drink last night"