Benecol alternative

Hi,does anyone know of any products that are available to buy in France that would be the same as Benecol please,thanks.

Danacol - I get them from Leclerc

Hi,thanks for reply,i think i tried the Danacol plain yoghurts but didn,t like them,think i have seen the little drink bottles and possibly a spread,is that about right?

I’m just wondering if you’ve thought of taking an empty packet to your pharmacy and asking if they have “something similar”…
Many pharmacies have all sorts of things (apart from mainstream meds) and, so long as they can read the product content/description, they will try to find the French equivalent.

might be worth a try…

The plain ones are pretty disgusting, Leclerc do an 8 pack, 4 strawberry and 4 apricot and they’re quite ok

Youd be better off taking the empty packets to a supermarket and ask.

1 Like

Is that with an idea of trying to lower cholesterol?

Having taken a look to find out what Benecol is… I agree with @Wozza :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(but my suggetion holds good for other medical or homeopathic sort of stuff… :wink: :wink: )

I don’t think there are many others here apart from the Danone products as the Agence nationale de sécurité sanitaire advises against them because of lack of evidence and the risks to one’s heart.

“que la consommation de phytostérols, dès 1,1 g/jour, fait baisser la concentration dans le sang de bêtacarotène. Or on sait que des taux faibles de bêtacarotène sont un facteur de risque cardiovasculaire.“

https://www.anses.fr/fr/system/files/NUT2010sa0057Ra.pdf?download=1

2 Likes

Quite true Jane, an Australian study a while back determined that plant sterols merely mask the cholestetol test results but also had other consequences as you mentioned.

1 Like

Basically a waste of time. Best is sensible and balanced dietry, and excercise. Like JJ says there is next to or no evidence to support them.

2 Likes

And sunlight to allow the vitamin d, cholesterol pathway to function properly.

1 Like

UFC-Que Choisir don’t seem particularly enthralled either:

Hi,thanks for replies,i will try the fruit flavoured Danacol i think.

Sigh…

1 Like

Forgot to say,i will be jogging in the sunshine at the same time…

1 Like

With shorts only?
Of course you may have been advised as 2/3rds of the population have been that cholesterol is too high which in most casses is meaningless.
Plenty of sources have de bunked the myth created by statin companies.