Best equivalent to 'Plusgas'?

I have run out of my old (20yrs) tin of Plusgas, but can’t find it here. Don’t really want to get it from UK because of the possible postage issues.
Screwfix France do not stock it, neither do Toolstation France, but I have seen Spray super dégrippant WD-40 which might be ok, I guess.

Anyone have any knowledge of this WD-40 product, or anything else that purports to free up rusty components?

Do you live anywhere near 22160 (cotes d’armor)? I am going to uk next week and could pick some plusgas up for you and OH who didn’t know about it until now.

1 Like

Just looked at Amazon France, Germany and UK and this product seems now to be unavailable.

Look for “Huile pénétrante” in your local brico or auto store.

WD40 is very average as a penetrating oil and rubbish as a general lubricant.

Indeed it is, but WD-40 was designed to be a water dispersant and it’s very good at that.

In 1953, in a small lab in San Diego, California, the fledgling Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry.

It took them 40 attempts to get their water displacing formula to work, but on the 40th attempt, they got it right in a big way. WD-40 Multi Use Product was born. WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. That’s the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed the product.

The first company to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product commercially was Convair, an aerospace contractor, to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. The product worked so well that several employees snuck cans of WD-40 Multi-Use Product out of the plant in their lunchboxes to use at home.

A few years later, Rocket Chemical Company founder and president Norm Larsen experimented with putting WD-40 into aerosol cans, reasoning consumers might also find a use for the product in their home workshops and garages.

but really good to get silicone off your fingers

1 Like

The number one solution to aged distributor caps and plug leads :slightly_smiling_face: