Best treatment for oak flooring and hardwood window frames

ANY ADVICE OR COMMENTS OUT THERE ON OUR SEALING TASKS?

WE HAVE 100 SQ METRES OF OAK FLOORING TO SAND AND SEAL.

> WHAT ARE THE SUITABLE MODELS OF BELT SANDERS, AND WHERE CAN I HIRE ONE AND AT WHAT DAILY RATES?

(WE ARE AT L'ABSIE, DEUX-SEVRES, 30 KMS NORTH-EAST OF FONTENAY-LE-COMTE)

> WHAT ARE THE BEST SEALANTS, AT WHAT COST AND COVERAGE, AND IS PRIMER NECESSARY/AVAILABLE?

> IS THE SEALANT AVAILABLE IN THE UK? (ie, GBP RATES ;-) !)

ALSO, WE HAVE NEW HARDWOOD WINDOW FRAMES TO TREAT (BOIS EXOTIQUE, SOUNDS LIKE 'JOHAMBA(?) '

WILL IT NEED PRIMING OR STAINING, AND HOW LONG WOULD YACHT VARNISH BE EXPECTED TO LAST ?

> ANY SPECIAL TIPS FOR EITHER OF THESE JOBS?

WE WILL BE GRATEFUL FOR ANY ADVICE!

JOHN & SHEILA ACTON

If you need any further info another forum is well into wood oils and if you use the search engine against “wood oil”, or" varnish" you will find lots of uses and opinions but try this link first:- http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/1784169/ShowPost.aspx#1784169

I also use oil for my beach and oak worktops this I bought in France as ‘Huile pour plan de travail’ in one of the Bricosheds, they also sell ‘Vitrificateur’ to seal wood floors but I have no personal knowlege of that.

You will need a pro sander for that size area, either a belt type or a polisher if the surface isn’t too bad.

Try Kiloutou.fr for floor sander hire

RĂ©seau Pro
Route de Niort
BP 137

85200 Fontenay-le-Comte

Téléphone: 02 51 69 91 87

Fax: 05 51 53 63 91

Sander details click here

I agree with Roger, you should oil your frames and not paint them, Linseed or Tung oil will be best. You can get them at Oleobois online

I would avoid varnish - it’s really easy to apply a quick coat of oil when required, very little preparation required and much healthier for the environment. I don’t know much about floor sealing but if you join the renovation group someone there might be able to help you with that.

Good luck

James

Cant help with the sander but as far as treating the wood I now tend to use Wood oil (Rustins danish oil in the U.K) rather than varnish on frames, It doesnt peel off like varnish and if you treat it when it looks tired its a 10minute job
no stripping!! Might suit the floors also.
Me old mum used to treat her floors with solid bees wax disolved in lighter fluid, much like O Cedar? but thicker.

Hi @Frenchpro , you do realise that the post you answered was 12 years old ?

1 Like

DELETED my reply cheers for heads up