Best way to cook Boudin Noir?

Any suggestions please.

Depends on the shape, but i usually cut it into slices and fry it in oil (or butter and oil) so itā€™s crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.

2 Likes

I usually eat it spread on crusty breadā€¦ but is that raw or cookedā€¦ no idea. :woozy_face:

Canā€™t stand it, but have been served it by friends a lot over the years and the most acceptable to me was the classic way of pan frying in slices with tart apples. The worst, as in the most boudin noirā€™y taste, was using it to make a shepherdā€™s pie type thing.

1 Like

Depends on the size and what youā€™re serving with it. Iā€™ve always been a bit iffy about slicing and frying a black pudding. Horseshoe black puddings on Lancashire outdoor markets were probably my first encounter with fast food, over sixty years ago. They were boiled, sliced horizontally and served in a large, floury muffin with a dab of psychedelic green mint sauce on top. By contrast, industrial vertically sliced, and fried black pudding always remind me of second rate breakfasts in slightly dingy, provincial hotels.

Whilst the award winning black puddings of Bury, Oldham and Rawtenstall markets and their ilk were exceedingly fine, our local Aveyronnaise and Lotoise boudin noir are a different order of beast if only on account of their size. Slicing and frying seems too crude and immediate, whilst boiling something so large, doesnā€™t seem sufficiently precise (not hot enough throughout and too much flavour lost). Thatā€™s why I prefer steaming - lengthy, but worth it.,

I donā€™t like the dried crust of a fried black pudding/boudin noir, whereas steamed then slit and disembowelled so the contents spill out is for me the essence of boudin noir - but never mind Normandy apples, instead serve it with Dijon mustard and generously buttered spring cabbage - what more could man possibly want?

2 Likes

Usually whole in the oven on a bed of veg like leeks or , whole mixed in with various veg in the Cookeo. Either way itā€™s delicious.
I always go for the homemade boudin from a local butcher, not the mass produced stuff.

2 Likes

Slight thread hijack incomingā€¦ā€¦

How similar is boudin noir to black pudding?

Not very.

Black pudding comes in several varieties, but to me the most obvious difference is the presence or absence of lumps of fat. Spicing varies, too, largely with region. Black pudding holds together well, and not just the sad industrial varieties.

Boudin noir has a much softer and uniform consistency, and I havenā€™t ever seen it with lumps of fat (though there may be varieties like that). It is less spiced than black pudding.

Morcilla, the Spanish version, is spicier - cumin, cinammon for example - and usually contains rice.

1 Like

Around here boudin noir can come with all sorts of extras within its casingā€¦
chestnut, caramelised onions, applesā€¦ and many other things, depending on the season and localityā€¦ a smooth, creamy texture with the odd delicious additive .

Iā€™ve found le boudin noir is a one of the main offerings at the morning break ā€œcasse-croĆ»teā€, when weā€™re out with car-club pals. Actually, what they call casse-croĆ»te seems more like a banquet to meā€¦ but our French pals simply munch onā€¦ and on.

Whichever variety is on offer ā€¦ Iā€™ve bravely tried them all. Cold of course, spread on crusty breadā€¦ and not had to spit any of them outā€¦ in fact, I make a beeline for that plate nowā€¦ delicious, especially accompanied with a glass of somethingā€¦ :rofl:

In Ukā€¦ Iā€™ve had black puddingā€¦ sliced and friedā€¦ OK but nothing to write home about. No idea what it would be like on crusty breadā€¦ :rofl:

2 Likes

Boudin noir spiced ā€˜Antillesā€™ - I freeze it for an hour, than cube and mix with Toulouse sausage and some pork mince to make pork burgers.

Alternatively as a reminder of my home town cooking, serve it heated on a bed of sauerkraut (with apple and cidre), add some salt pork like a demi sel poitrine and mashed potatoes - almost back in Frankfurtā€¦

I sometimes used to have it boiled for my lunch when in UK.
My granny made the best black pudding when they had killed a pig.
It came in the old Keiller stone marmalade jars and was fried.

1 Like

I remember watching a documentary about the making of morcilla, following the demise of the family pig. The abuela supervised the mixture and, before authorising it to be put in the casing to be boiled, tasted it a few times. Raw, of course.

2 Likes

It seems that few folk (if any) in UK would think of eating black pudding spread on crusty breadā€¦ :rofl:

I wonder if, in fact, it would spreadā€¦ ???

UK black pudding has more cereal and fat lumps in it and I think you are right, it would just break up.

My local Butcher (Laurens 34) Boudin Noir, is very similar to my favourite Lancashire black pudding. Black and big circles of fat through it. I either steam and scoop contents on to a plate or slice and slow fry. Delicious!

3 Likes

Lucky you.

You canā€™t just tease folk like that. Address please. Does he deliver?
Does it really taste like home :grinning: pleeeeese

The only butcher in Laurens 34480. I donā€™t know whether he delivers or not.

Peter

A slight thread hi-jack.

When I first bought boudin at the Intermarche meat counter a year ago I was informed by the cheeky young man that ā€˜boudinā€™ could also refer to a young ladyā€¦ and not in a good way!