Beware: French tax reimbursement email is a phishing scam

A particularly strange one since most people already have their FR bank account details registered with the fisc :roll_eyes:

Thx for heads-up, Graham.

I used to get a lot of those ostensibly from HMRC back in the UK. The main reason for knowing they are a scam is that no-one, ever, genuinely offers me money for anything via email :rofl:

1 Like

I haven’t seen a tax scam like this one before. I’m being invited to apply for a reimbursement of 969.99 euros due to a mistake made by impots.gouv.fr. Clearly a scam…

Beware!

2 Likes

well spotted

and it’s worth remembering that impots.gouv.fr will know one’s name and use it on all and any correspondence…
this vague “cher client” thingy is smoke and mirrors…

plus if they’ve taken toooo much… they give it back (easy-peasy).
this is just trying to frighten folk into too-speedy an action without thinking things through… aaaargh.

1 Like

Quite - if they can individualise the amount they can get the name and gender of the individual right.

The reality, of course, is that it’s the same amount on every message.

2 Likes

It is so poorly written that nobody - I hope - would be fooled.

1 Like

The poor French should be obvious to any native speaker - but if you are working in a 2nd language it is much â€‰harder.

The logical errors, dodgy URL’s etc remain obvious though.

Always check where a URL will take you, if it is a “short” URL then there are online URL expanders which will reveal the ultimate destination.

1 Like

I agree, but enough people may have fallen victim already - enough for the scammer to continue scamming.

2 Likes

Wasted on me because I don’t have enough to pay tax to get a refund so would ignore it anyway but as said, old people can get fooled very easily. Had one from Tatol energie the other day asking for details of my account and the spelling of what would be Total energie was enough to alert me.