Bird food pas cher

where can we buy bird food - pas cher - we’ll have to take out 2nd mortgage at this rate - not complaining - great entertainment - woodpecker, loved up doves, tree sparrows, tits, robins - we’ve even had a jay - hear the redstarts but they don’t come down to feed

I’d be interested in replies too… we buy fat blocks in bulk from Vivara but haven’t found anywhere affordable for decent quality sunflower seed. And the 25kg sacks from Jardival/Gamm Vert are sometimes pretty shoddy.

We do grow some ourselves, but don’t last long!

Why not use chicken food? (not the pellets), the Basse Coeur, about €12 for 25kg.

Don’t you end up just with sparrows and the like as the fussier birds won’t touch it?

Probably, but the posh birds can’t be that hungry if they’re that fussy

1 Like

I get the 10kg bags from Gamm vert. It’s 9.95€ a bag and that generally lasts a few weeks. There isn’t a lot of choice around here but I get a great variety with that and I supplement with netless seed balls that I buy in a big bucket. I think there’s 100 in it. That lasts for ages. The bigger Gamm vert stores often do deals on the 20 kilo bags and that works out a lot cheaper.
I would love to give them some mealworms too but they are horrendously expensive here.

1 Like

Pre-covid UK friends would arrive with dried mealworms…light and easy to carry and much more use that tea bags that I can get here, or marmite that I hate.

1 Like

I wonder if they are allowable under the “animal products” ban post Brexit?

Dried mealworm tea, that’s hardcore🤔

1 Like

Just wondering…
Isn’t there enough natural food around for the birds at the moment ???
Or is this to attract specific species… ??

Yes and no…because we are landlords to terraces of sparrow and tits we feel a responsibility to help them feed their young.

1 Like

We’re lucky.
Just as the young caterpillars start hanging down on their silken threads, in the trees … the bluetits have babies to feed.

It’s wonderful watching them in action.

I always make sure there’s fresh water… whatever the time of year. Watching the birds splashing is very relaxing.

1 Like

Personally, I feed them year round because when I was in the UK, many moons ago, the RSPB explained that it’s important if you want to feed the birds to become a regular food source as they will come to rely on it, particularly when they have young to raise. That stuck with me, so I’ve been feeding year round ever since.

2 Likes