Birds, Birds, Birds!

:bouquet: Thank you for this!

1 Like

We have various tits, robins, redstarts, jays and magpies visiting our feeders. There are woodpeckers and owls around, but I’ve never managed to get a clear photo of either.

Just incredible photos! Well done!

À friend of my Father took the photos, my father reintroduced some barn owls on the farm and around the marshes in east Kent, this one maybe one of the offspring.

The house we bought here in 2007 belonged to an English couple who only used it as a holiday home. It meant that they only stayed a week or two and some years didn’t come at all, so the wildlife had had it more or less to themselves. We moved in during a hot July and had all the doors and windows open as we unpacked. I heard OH calling me, but softly, and went into the bedroom to see a barn owl perched on top of a piece of furniture, watching us - quite unconcerned.

6 Likes

This swan’s mate was just out of frame.

7 Likes

Magical :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Barn owls are so beautiful. I never see them here - mind you we do have a number of tawnies because I can hear them, but I never see them either :cry:

We have them, and several other sorts of owls… we are very fortunate.

but I’ve cheated in this case.
This is a painting done by a friend… :wink:

1 Like

We have a scops owl (which I had never heard of) who has taken up residence right outside the bedrooms of our gite. I feel for our guests as this sound goes on all night and most of the day! :frowning_face:

I’ve seen one of those but only at the Wildlife Park at Burford :smiley:
Perhaps you need to supply a container of earplugs in the bedside cupboard for your guests @SuePJ :rofl:

2 Likes

Here’s one especially for you Angela.

5 Likes

Thank you Warren…beautiful :smiley:

1 Like

The unusual sparrow hopping about the garden this morning turns out to be a dunnock…

3 Likes

We had one flitting around in the long grass yesterday.
Looked it up in my Birds of Britain & Europe and found it under hedgesparrow, or dunnock :slight_smile: Accenteur mouchet, much to my surprise, in French, whereas I’d always thought them to be some kind of moineau !

1 Like

Me too!

Golly Fleur - however did you tell the difference?

The past few days I have seen big white somewhat crane-like birds here. Not seen them before (50 Manche). As you can tell, I know ***-all about birds :frowning: Could they be egrets or am I even more barking than usual?
(I used to have an Observer Book of Birds, which is where my education stopped in this area…)

These days Angela this is all you need - French or English version, including bird sounds - just brilliant. RSPB site the same. Just the French one shows what’s round us where we live now.

3 Likes