Birdwatching - sanctuaries, reserves in France

Has anyone visited any of the nine major bird sanctuaries and areas?

I happened upon a website (while trying to ascertain if Cardinals - one of my favorites in the US - are present in France) and was reading about them:

http://about-france.com/wildlife/birds.htm

bird-sites
La diagonale du vide - FranceBest bird-watching areas in France (pale) and major bird sanctuaries or sites (pink)

The following areas (listed north to south) are of particular interest to bird-lovers:

1. Baie de Somme wetlands at the mouth of the Somme, in Picardy, 

2. Lac du Der in Champagne, eastern France, (migrating birds, in particular cranes),

3. Lac de Grandlieu nature reserve, south of Nantes (Pays de la Loire). Waterfowl, migrants. The second greatest bird area in France after the Camargue, in terms of numbers of species.

4. Brenne regional park in the Centre region, southeast of Tours

5. Dombes wildlife reserve and centre in the Ain, north of Lyon, (waders and water birds),

6. Haut Allier area in the Haute Loire department, south of Clermont-Ferrand in the Auvergne (raptors, eagles and many smaller birds), 

7. Tarn Gorge in the Aveyron / Lozere area of the southern Massif Central (raptors, vultures), 

8. Teich bird reserve near Arcachon, southwest of Bordeaux (Aquitaine), (ducks and geese), 

9. The Camargue wetlands on the Mediterranean coast, with their ornithological reserve (flamingoes, waders, migrating birds)

flamingoes

1 Like

Hello Mary
The lovely Brenne is not too far away from me so I do visit it as often as possible. Great for bicycle rides there too. Plus there are some good visitor centres with lots of information.
Have visited the Carmargue, so lovely to see the flamingos an other birds.
The Tech reserve was a bit too crowded for my taste.
The Gorges of Tarn, fantastic out of season.
In fact I am very lucky that I live in an’ uncrowded’ region so get to see lots of local wildlife, deers, boars, wild ducks, pheasants, partridges et al; :slight_smile:
In fact here is a photo of some Red legged Partridges in my garden

2 Likes

Birdwatching is a delight… it’s something that everyone can do and enjoy… no matter what level of knowledge they have.

My daughter recently astounded her London friends, by pointing out a Greater Crested Grebe… when they were on a trip somewhere…

She chuckled as she later told me… “All your mumblings to me as a child, finally paid off Mum… I can identify almost any bird now” :hugs:

2 Likes

this link is useful, in that it gives pictures of the garden birds, so you can find what you want by sight… then checkout what it is called etc… in French … got to keep those braincells working …

1 Like

and another very useful site for the Birdwatcher…

http://www.oiseaux.net/oiseaux/france.html

1 Like

I remember seeing the flamingoes in the Camargue walking about on the ice when it was frozen :open_mouth:

1 Like

This place is lovely for a day out with family and friends… or just on one’s own…need good walking shoes though… :relaxed:

1 Like

I used to love bird watching, get slapped these days though :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Hoopoe in our garden in Saint-André-de-Sangonis (34) in 2008. Had never seen one before. Beautiful.
IMG_0912

2 Likes

Thats great Mandy, ours has gone AWOL, not seen or heard him this year lovely bird, here’s hopeing :crossed_fingers:
And, great photo:+1: Just noticed it’s an old pic :slightly_smiling_face: But a nice one too!

1 Like

They are such funny looking birds aren’t they… not seen our regular ones yet this year… still waiting… they’ll get here eventually.

I love to hear their ooop-ooop-ooop call echoing up and down the valley … :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ve only ever seen that one in France. Lucky you to have them every year. For the first time this year we have had goldfinches feeding on the trees outside our flat. Haven’t seem them since I was in England.

1 Like

Yes, little goldfinches are so pretty… I usually leave some thistleheads overwinter for them to nibble the seeds…

2 Likes

I took this not far from us at http://www.portvitrezay.com/accueil-vitrezay

3 Likes

Aren’t they fabulous. :relaxed: You are so lucky to have them nesting near you.

Last year, I noticed one lone stork on a chimney of an empty home… thought I was imagining things… then OH and I both saw it the following day, in some trees… then a third day… and then nothing. However, it turns out that structures are being erected around where we live, trying to entice these lovely birds to stay… Hoping to see more than one this year. :hugs:

I believe there’s a year round population here. We saw a couple on a nest in February. It was freezing cold then.

1 Like