Bizarre & Classic Car Owners

Thanks Bettina, your encouragement is very welcome. A local Brit offered me €1,500 cash “as is” which convinced me it is probably worth a lot more! He only took a cursory look and didn’t look under the bonnet. I shall follow your advice and seek out a local Landover enthusiast club for a reliable opinion.

Mine cost 1200£ and came with straw in the back when I picked it up on the Isle of Sheppy. About 5000£ later it had an unleaded petrol engine (to be able to take the toy to Canada), been painted and looked like a proper scary beast.
Unfortunately hubby never really warmed to my toy, so sold it and now is ‘working’ on his toy - classic 900 Saab convertible.
But if you can do some of the jobs yourself, you can save a lot of money. I found the Landrover owners club very very helpful in locating parts & in parting with advice.

1 Like

Hi, may be a little young for you, but I am reluctantly selling my 1987 Mercedes 300D, been in the family since new, picked it up from Sindelfingen and ran it in on the way back to Berlin
Original motor (250k+ miles) original clutch, needs a respray but has 7 months CT , starts and runs very well.
The last of real Mercedes!

How about a photo, Raymond ?? :upside_down_face:

Had the grandkids here, photo enclosed.
Btw, it has auto leveling, a removable tow bar, a full size spare wheel and NO COMPUTER!`

Sadly, Raymond - I can’t see any photo :thinking::upside_down_face:

Photo definitely there!

Ah well - nothing that I can find and I’ve clicked all over your words to see if there is a link…

I’ll just have to sulk…:zipper_mouth_face::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Try again, I have updated the post

Hello
I have just recieved a request from my classic car club to sign a petition against a new EU ruling that you driving licences will be automatically suspended every 15 years. This would affect permanent UK expats with French licences. I think you must provide a medical certificate to verify your capability to drive.
jvbram

Your car club must have thoughts of grandeur if they think signatures from a few old car owners are going to be effective against what is already a ruling :rofl: but hey, good luck!

Judging by some on the roads, I am all for better regulation. But this 15 year renewal is only there to ensure records are updated and not driving ability :sleepy: although I do believe there was talk of medicals at 75 and 80, but I have heard no more on this for a while.

Thanks for bringing this up as I hadn’t heard of it. I’ve just read it and it all seems quite sensible to me, licences to be “valid at least for 15 years” up to the age of 70 with the suggestion of health checks at renewal and then every 5 years after 70.
It all seems quite sensible to me and I’m not sure why special consideration should be given to the views of British immigrants.

It is the views of british immigarnts who have already changed to a French licence… The brits who retained their UK licence are at present unaffected as it is an EU ruling on EU licences.

I think the EU will soon cotton onto this and change the status of UK licences back to being a licence of a third country and therefore all brits will have to change to a French licence.

I missed this thread when it was around - is it worth continuing or even maybe, start a new one?

Sounds like another people-tracking and fee-earning wheeze.

Withdrawn

A few old car owners? There are 266k signatures so far smarty pants. Its being organised by the League in defence of drivers. I didnt think that Survivefrance was for brits only.

Less of the insults please, and a link to the survey/club in question and the EU law concerned would help the community make up its own mind rather than being lectured at…

1 Like

Not being smart, just realistic. It is a bit late to expect a petition to be effective now that the ruling is through, backed by the Transport Committee and to be voted into law this coming January.

I do not understand your comment that when law, this will affect British with French licences, any more than it will effect any other nationality with French licences.

What this is all about Brian is a longish running debate in the EU parliament to shake up driving licences. It is now at ruling stage and vote on it soon. There are many aspects to it - a few that affect everyone is that licences only last for 15 years, medical every five years after 70 and licences now to be downloadable to mobile phones. Nothing really contentious.