Bizarre & Classic Car Owners

Neat little car… will it be for every-day… or every now and again ?

They called it Variomatic then, Honda came along and called the very same , CVC and the worlds auto magazines went wild about the innovation. Makes you wonder. The majority of the motorcycle “innovations” from Japan originated in England, East Germany or Italy.

I love the little flat twin engines on them, especially the sound when driven hard. They work well on Aircraft as well. I would love to have a Fourgonette. Pity when they repalced them with the “suitcase” engine.

@Codfanglers … if I remember correctly… we had to show that we had a car on CG normale… (an everyday car) in order to get the CGC Insurance… which stipulates that the Classic is not to be used for going and fro (workwise) not sure of any other disadvantages…

It has 28k on the clock…I thought to make it my everyday car, when I’m not using the van

It belonged to his father who bought it new.
The paperwork (invoice etc.) is still in the folder, in the car.
Jacques used it for hunting in later years…to the point where he fitted knobbly tyres on the front.
It’s a lovely little car, & I can’t wait to put it back on the road.

See what type of CG is has… '83 on CG normale… it will probably/possibly not meet the strict requirements of the 2019 CT…

For a Classis on CGCollection … there are allowances made at the CT testing station. (So the '83 will be fine, after a little tidy-up. ) This is also why a CGC is not meant to be the work vehicle…or the roads would be full of potentially “unsuitable” cars… which only get “controlled” every 5 years and, even then… seem to get away with murder… :wink::wink:

I saw the original CG before having to give it to the notaire. I don’t recall it being anything other than a standard CG. When his estate is settled, ordinarily I should get the papers back.

When you get the papers back… then you can have a think about the future… lovely idea to look after your friend’s car… :relaxed:

1 Like

I could be wrong about France, but throughout the Eu the CT carried out is in accordance with the CT which was in force at the time the vehicle was initially registered. But then as my local CT chappie said, “Bienvenue en France”. I would think that the inspector would give some leeway especially as it is an elderly french car.

You are presumably not aware that France is trying to get older, polluting etc cars out of circulation… :wink:
FFVE discussed at length, worries that everyone (with an old car) would simply apply to change to CGC to avoid falling foul of the new, stronger CT rules.

CGC gives the protection of a CT for the car according to the originals of the car…never mind what the currect CT Legislation demands…

Example any car which did not have seatbelts originally… does not have to have them nowadays. If they are fitted in a vehicle (whether original or not) they must be in working order and used when appropriate.

That is not (as far as I know) acceptable for a car which is NOT on CGCollection plates & insurance… but I may be wrong… I would not want to argue the toss with the gendarmes… :crazy_face:

Seeing all these fine old vehicles gives me some hope that I can do something about my elderly (1976) Series 3 Land Rover which I have had to put out to grass as it needs lots of work to restore it and fit it for CT and immatriculation, being still on UK plates. It is still just about a runner and drives well, but there’s an ugly screech when it starts up, sound like a dry bearing, but I have no mechanical knowledge or skill. Nor do I have the funds to put it in order.

A lot of local Brits have shown interest in it but I have no idea of its potential value, and don’t feel confident to negotiate a sale. I could just about afford a staged recovery plan, but as mentioned funds are limited as we are both retired on a fixed income.

Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome. She has huge sentimental value, and has served us well in so many different ways

IMG_20190415_124035

IMG_20190415_124134

IMG_20190415_124259

1 Like

Lovely vehicle Peter.
My first car at the tender age of 17, was a LWB Series 2A Safari from 1966.
Cost me most of my wages every week, but was an adventure every time I got behind the wheel.

1 Like

Hi Peter - the screech could be as simple as a slipping fanbelt/seized water pump. Ebay is worth a look for values or ask the Landrover club - they have a facebook page and if they are anything like the Austin Healey group they will be very helpful re valuations etc.

Nice vehicle, by the way!

1 Like

Thanks @Guy and @Codfanglers both of you for heartening comments and advice that I will definitely act on and give feedback in due course. All is not lost! :smiley:

Exactly. Adjusting the fan belt tension could fix the problem and if not DIY replacement of the water pump, if it’s seized, is inexpensive.

They hold their value Peter and are getting more expensive.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/28/series+3/

If I had any money at all Peter, I’d make you an offer :slight_smile:

Telle camaraderie Landie! Vos paroles Bob et John m’ont fait venir les larmes de joie aux yeux! :hugs::joy:

I have resolved to fix the old girl up and keep her (selfishly) for my own delight. Hope your own dream will soon come true, Bob. Mme HJX257S will rise again to growl and purr around the rues, avenues, pavés, sentiers, and boulevards of France (sob).

2 Likes

Love your Landy. Mine was a Series 2A from 1972. Safest car I ever had coming to the UK from Germany. Boxy and everyone got out of my way at Hyde Park Corner.
Hayes Manual & membership/advice from Landrover owners club could help to figure out why it objects so loudly.
Definitely would NOT sell this.