Blocked drains

Sorry to raise an unpleasant topic around breakfast time but our toilet has backed up and overflowed. Further investigation indicates that used water is not escaping into the main sewer to which we are connected and the blockage is between the road and an inspection chamber about 5 metres inside our property boundary.

Should I contact the “Service Public de l’Eau” or get a local tradesman to visit? - Not sure where responsibility lies as well as whether the water company offer such a service and their website is totally unhelpful. I am in the Grand Dax area in 40.

I’d start with the Service Public as it is now 100% clear whose responsibility this is. Even if it is yours, if you get a nice man you might get away with them sorting it out for you. Worth a try…
Good luck!
From another Grand Dax resident!