Boat from UK to France

I have lived in France as a resident for seven years, and would like to purchase a used boat from UK,
my original country.
My main concern is French VAT at 20% on top of the UK purchase price.
Can I ask if anyone has any past experience of how “thorough” French Customs are when bringing a small boat into France ? And indeed what paperwork is considered acceptable to them, in regard to value?
Many thanks for any thoughts / experience.

Robert

Hi Robby

Might be an idea to edit your Heading to start with Boat rather than Product…
that would grab those boating enthusiasts (hopefully) who might have done something similar…

just a thought.

Thanks Stella. Good idea !

1 Like

While you might not have any real intention of using them for delivery, this company might give you advice

A friend did the same in reverse last year and nobody gave a second thought once they realised no migrants were in it😂 that bit was a joke, he was towing it on a trailer.

2 Likes

No doubt you have found this yourself, but just in case

New/used -under its own power/sail - on a trailer?

If new then they will hammer you for tax, if used and getting on then they probably wont bother. Bring your bill of sale with you and other documents relating to the boat and stop at the customs shop when you get here and ask. They dont bite. Or better still ask the local Customs before you buy or collect. Then you will know the process or if it is worth buying in the UK.

1 Like

It would be used, and a sailing boat. Value less than £15000.

Thanks Rocam.

Thankyou Jane, really useful information.

Thanks a lot Graeme.

To the best of my knowledge, and you probably know already, you need a license to sail here Robbie. Day skipper sort of level. Strangely, I’m not sure a license is needed for a small motor boat :thinking:

Should have snuck it through in the fasnet :joy:

1 Like

I sailed a boat to France once and forgot to take the ownership paperwork, and was marched to a cashpoint and relieved of 200 euros immediately.

In the UK, you can sail anything around, and no-one checks seaworthiness or safety gear. Not so in France. Check what you’ll need to comply with. I think there’s a cut off of around 10m length where things get much more stringent. You may also need some sailing qualifications.

It’s been a while now since I sailed much to France, so it would be very worthwhile to find out what the regulations are. And you may be better off buying a compliant boat in France rather than having the hassle/expense of making a UK boat compliant.

John

1 Like