Bonfires

Out of interest has anyone ever known a real (i.e. dangerous) fire start as a result of a bonfire in a garden ?

No-one seems to have told everyone around here!

I must be out of date.

Thanks for the heads up

Ah yes Pat, but when people are caught and fined then the tune soon changes...

That anyway Carol, but last autumn it was extended nationally except that most people had no idea and then (actually a good thing in the end) not lifted. We actually do inspect our mairie noticeboard frequently regarding such things.

I talked to our neighbours and they told me not to take any notice of the ban.He said it was a countryside tradition and he'd always done it and would be continuing to do it. He said it was different if there was a serious drought or if you lit a bonfire near a road where the smoke would be hazardous.

This is the rule that I read which does sound as if they mean it.....!!??! As with lots of French rules....made to be broken.

Feux de jardin interdits
Par circulaire ministérielle du 18 novembre 2011, le brûlage à l’air libre des déchets verts est interdit.

Cette pratique peut être à l’origine de troubles du voisinage générés par les odeurs et la fumée. Source d’émission de substances polluantes, les feux de jardin nuisent également à l’environnement et à la santé et peuvent être la cause de la propagation d’incendie. D’autres solutions existent : la valorisation sur place des déchets verts sous forme de paillage et de compostage, la gestion collective dans les déchèteries.

Dans le cadre de ses pouvoirs de police (article L.2212-2 du code général des collectivités territoriales) et sur la base du règlement sanitaire départemental, le maire de la commune est chargé de veiller au respect de cette interdiction de brûler des végétaux (herbes, résidus de taille ou d’élagage), par les particuliers sur leurs propriétés, pour des raisons de sûreté, de sécurité et de salubrité publique, pour éviter en période de sécheresse, la propagation d’incendie si les feux ne sont pas surveillés.

L’article 84 du règlement sanitaire départemental prévoit également que “des dérogations à cette interdiction peuvent être accordées par le préfet (et non le maire) sur proposition de l’autorité sanitaire et après avis du Conseil Départemental d’Hygiène. Ces dérogations ne peuvent être accordées que dans le cas où il n’est pas possible d’utiliser d’autres moyens autorisés pour éliminer les déchets produits par le pétitionnaire”.

Les entreprises d’espaces verts et paysagistes sont tenues d’éliminer leurs déchets verts par broyage sur place, par apport en déchèterie ou par valorisation directe mais “elles ne doivent pas les brûler”.

Quant aux déchets verts agricoles, le préfet peut, conformément aux articles D. 615-47 et D. 681-5 du Code rural, autoriser le brûlage de ces déchets pour des raisons agronomiques ou sanitaires.

Pour rappel, l’interdiction de brûlage en extérieur existe déjà pour tout autre déchet (plastiques, pneus…)

Cette pratique est passible d’une amende de 68€, pouvant atteindre 450€.

They certainly haven't been banned in our commune, but they are restricted. Banned from April 1st (I think) until 1st October, and any lit have to be at least 50m away from habitable buildings. Don't think there's any restriction on barbecues...

Forgiven this time, however our maire M. Fourchette...

Sorry about that one - I couldn't resist

Nick, time to stop eating a diet of pizza and chocolate rugby boots, not enough vitamins in them for the jokes you're trying...

They are not quite illegal, but usually must be declared at the Mairie - dontcha just love France - I suppose you the person to see is Guy Fourchette (joke btw).

It all depends on the local commune and what local byelaws have been passed - or it was last time I checked up.

Well, we have not put all our stuff together yet but given that the foresters and woodcutters have had fires the size of a quite big house hereabouts, if the ban is still on then nobody is very concerned. They were temporarily prohibited after the end of the period when they are neither allowed nor tolerated and it would not surprise me that with the change of government they have forgotten to review the ban. But if anybody cares then nobody is doing much about it. Then again, it extended to people having portable barbeques burning charcoal in forests and so on all summer and I did not bother to even begin to count how many I saw.

Hi Pat,

We live in an apartment block on the ground floor. We have a small terrace, which whilst it looks out to sea, is a flame free zone. I do understand why ( regs? ) and we have adapted to having an electric Barbie dolled up to look like a real one.

But somehow it's not the same. We miss the radiated warmth of a log burner and I love a good burn up.

I can't believe that bommies ( bonnies ) are now illegal, whatever next.

Ron Birks