Book Worms I have a book to pass on. The Bark of the Dogwood

I have just finished an extrodinary book which I am willing to pass on in the book chain .It’s a hard one to describe but anyone who enjoyed Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil will love it.

To save myself a mass of tying I have lifted a descvription and a review fom the internet so you can see if you want to read it. First coime first served I guess.

discription

"This is a tale of someone searching for their roots and who they are. The main character works for a “house and garden” magazine in NYC and is asked to write a series about the homes and gardens of the South. In stead of the obvious mansions and plantation homes, he chooses to write about the homes he visited or grew up in, and in the process discovers horrible secrets about his family. "

Review

"I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought this book. I came recommended by a chum and I was eager to dive in. Trouble was, I couldn’t put it down, and ended up putting everything on hold. Warning: If you start this book, you won’t be able to put it down. Anyone interested in the American South will want to read this truly riveting novel. I know the book has enjoyed a great success in Australia and New Zealand and now I see why. Fantastic writing and a plot that will have you laughing one moment, crying the next, then cringing at the terrible secret of one southern family. This was one of the funniest books I’ve yet to come across, yet it also deals with child abuse and has some sections in it that will keep you awake at night. I’m just sorry it’s taken me so long to find this wonderful writer! "

Assume you are in Moux at the mo…

Glad you liked it. Dificult to describe but good .

Hi Joanne,

I’ve just finished Bark of the Dogwood and would thoroughly recommend it. It made me laugh out loud and at one point I almost cried…since I was sitting in the garage waiting for the car to be serviced, this would have been a bit embarassing! It certainly deals with some very dark themes ie racial prejudice and child abuse and I was a bit worried before I started reading it, but it’s dealt with so cleverly that although it’s shocking it’s not sick-making, if that makes sense. It also has some excellent cliff-hangers so you’ll just want to keep on turning those pages. I loved the portrait of The South of the USA and the cast of characters is fabulous.

So Joanne are you still up for it?

Big thanks to Clare for sending it to me. xx

I absolutely loved Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil so I’m definitely checking this one out, thanks!

Sounds like a plan. If I get over with the fabric I’ll pick it up.

Claire, you can borrow my copy if you like… but I’ll want it back! :slight_smile:

Put your name on the list Chrissie

Yes please.That would be great if no one else has put their hands up .

Ha ha! You’ll have to join the queue!

Curses! Foiled! Too late… and it would have saved you the postage! :)))

If you’re a fast reader Joanne, you have it first, I’m still on Julia Child “My Life in France” but will be finished with that by next Sunday…my big reading day!

I don’t mind it going onwards I haven’t had Wendy’s address yet but when I do it will start it’s journey , I hope Wendy will send it on to you after.

No one has , email me an address and I will send it ASAP unless we can meet

Me please, if nobody else has grabbed it!