Bordeaux Ikea to Arena - best route?

If someone knows the place well enough, I’d be grateful for some help re the best route through the outskirts of Bordeaux please.

I have an eye appointment at the clinique near Arena late afternoon tomorrow. OH sees this as an ideal opportunity to visit Ikea first, not least to have Swedish meatballs at lunchtime.

I’m worried about getting lost and being late for my appointment and google offers me two routes, neither of which looks that straightforward and it’s a part of Bordeaux we don’t know, so no idea how congested it gets 4pm onwards. Both options are supposed to be about 25 minutes. I’d opt for giving ourselves 50 minutes.

What would you suggest? thanks.

I’d think I might take the rocade via Lormont myself, it looks longer but should go much quicker. Bordeaux Lac is right on the rocade and the boulevards though so if you take the boulevards you’ll probably be OK. I have done a very similar route both ways and it’s only really at rush hour that it is a nuisance.

I see you won’t be far from Eurasie :heart_eyes:best shop and also deli/restaurant.

2 Likes

Thanks Vero, good suggestion for me, given my anxiety with all of this. That looks more straightforward - I’ll street view it so I know what it looks like. I think I’ve driven past Eurasie and wondered about eating there. This time will be meatballs. Next time maybe there - I’m being checked every six months so plenty of opportunity. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope all goes well! Eurasie is well worth a visit :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Definitely take the Rocade as there’s an exit very close to Ikea. Maybe keep an eye on Waze just to make sure there isn’t an accident as the Rocade can quickly get backed up. Driving within Bordeaux is rarely quicker than the Rocade in my experience.

I’d say Google’s 25 mins is optimistic though. Sometimes it can take 10 mins just to get out of the car park. A Monday afternoon should be ok but best to err on the side of caution when it comes to traffic in Bordeaux.

We like to stop at Eurasie too. It’s great for buying spices in bulk. Also, we buy everything to make crispy duck when we go there, as there’s nowhere in the Medoc we’ve found that sells the pancakes. We’ll usually stop off at Grand Frais in Blanquefort on the way home too… It can turn out to be an expensive trip! :grin:

2 Likes