Boris Johnson changes ministerial code

Really, I can’t think of one and that is a truly appalling state of affairs.

Governments have their own agenda, they don’t always want to spend reversing the actions of the previous government.

Eventually I think it will be reversed, well not fully reversed instead rejoin EU but this time without the preferential exceptions that UK had before.

1 Like

I agree Mat. It will be in stages - first some agreements on standards alignments to ease trade, then effective single market and customs union membership (perhaps presented as more ‘alignment’ to save face or reassure brexiters) - but eventually as you say rejoining the EU - perhaps via a new ‘half-way’ route created by the EU in the meantime, as Macron etc are already advocating.

The reality is that the economic and environmental and geo-political cases for western European unity are quite overwhelming, and set to get stronger not weaker - and public opinion in both the UK and EU seems to be moving the same way.

This is so important!! I feel like we need someone with a tannoy shouting that on every news channel. Apart from the bit maybe that nothing has ever been wholly exemplary.

But what we are enduring here really is a calculated campaign of sh**

Reading these topics on SF is so depressing and infuriating. At home we don’t really talk about politics anymore as it elicits a kind of helpless rage (maybe it would be different if we were not in agreement -but then that would be worse!)

Anyway clearly the aim is for everyone to be so exhausted and outraged that everyone switches off and the current iteration of the Tory party get on with destroying the country.

Legally Johnson and co need to be held to account but at the same time our attention needs to be on exciting alternatives and that isn’t Keir Starmer as you pointed out.

We have to give oxygen (sorry can’t think of less flowery phrase) to what we want and for that to spark people’s imaginations otherwise the lumbering de pfeffel lump will suck all the air out of the room.

1 Like

Swift re-joining in any form is way off and would require u-turns from both major parties, not going to happen in this decade.

1 Like

Just looked at the latest Yougov poll - not that I have much faith in them - but for what it’s worth, even given everything we know about Johnson etc - they’re still not predicting a Labour win.

If this continues, it seems likely that the SNP will hold the balance of power - so it’ll be the end of the UK I guess.

They will have to up their game in Scotland otherwise they’ll lose seats to Labour.

Unfortunately, the “reasonable” ones were all flung out of the party by de Pfeffle to further his own aims at total power… good, honest and decent men and women were thrown under the bus or left of their own accord knowing what a disaster he would be…
People like Rory Stewart who stood for the leadership and whom, in my opinion, would have made a good PM.
Take some time to look at this interview with him and make your own mind up.

2 Likes