Boris Johnson changes ministerial code

1 Like

Actually, the new code requires ministers to lie. Any minister found telling the truth will be sacked. To be fair, it is only codifying the status quo.

2 Likes

I have just read of this.

It is absolutely appalling - I am disgusted and fuming.

4 Likes

I share your pain. It’s unbelievable.

Further discussion of the failure of the present Tory government

I just long for an assassination.

Several…

A political assassination maybe - like that Geoffrey Howe carried out on Margaret Thatcher.
But it’s hard to think of anybody left in the Tory party now that would have the moral authority to carry it off.

1 Like

In that one aspect Johnson was calculating and planned ahead - we have a cabinet of dunderheads precisely so that none could challenge him.

1 Like

Getting rid of Johnson won’t change anything in the short term anyway, real change will only come in 2024 when the Tories are defeated in the GE, people should actually be pleased that he’s remaining in power as the longer he does the more damage he’s doing to the party.

True, but he’s making changes such as voter ID and revised constituency boundaries that favour the Tories.

In fact after the changes to the ministerial code I would not be surprised if there are not further attacks on democracy in the UK.

Mugabe was a pussycat compared to de Pfeffle

1 Like

This reminds me of the revolutionary left argument I’ve opposed all my life (don’t try to reform the system. let it get worse until it collapses). The evidence of history is that huge damage is done both during the decline, during the revolutionary crisis, and often for years after - and people suffer over these years. It has been estimated that over the decade 2010-20 a quarter of a million people died as a direct result of Tory policies - and of course that means untold millions have suffered in other ways.

1 Like

The best thing that could happen to British politics is for HM The Queen to send the Ghurkas into a packed HoC and put all 645 head on spikes at The Tower.

1 Like

Which can be reversed immediately by the next government as can virtually everything else they’ve done except for Brexit.

1 Like

So you believe that Johnson leaving tomorrow will ensure no further damage is done to people’s lives over the next two years?

Again you are assuming normalcy; that there will be an election, that Labour will win, that they will reverse the worst changes.

Given that neither of us can influence things until there is a GE I’m hoping that’s what will happen.

But you can see Johnson chipping away at our democratic safeguards all the time.

There are a few that are reasonable, it’s a bit unfair to ask for them all decapitating

I think if Johnson resigns the damage will continue @tim17 - but I also think if he continues it will be worse. One aspect of the damage is that he has been getting away with it - we need to get back to expecting exemplary standards in public life (not that we ever really had them!)

I also agree with @billybutcher 's comment about ‘expecting normalcy’ - however, I have no great faith in Labour now. True, if they are elected they will be better than the Tories (as always) - but a realistic view has to acknowledge that Starmer’s record is far from exemplary as well. His blatant dishonesty in his leadership election campaign and subsequently, his divisiveness and disregard for standards as leader, and indeed his extra-parliamentary fee earning legal work, all not only speak of somebody not really that different from Johnson, but also offer hostages to fortune in getting elected at all.

1 Like

They have already done that in Stroud. What was a wonderful small town and surrounding countryside constituency now includes a huge housing estate on the outskirts of Gloucester, completely changing its character.