Boris Johnson to go on trial for 'lying and misleading' in Brexit campaign,

Nothing to do with deep pockets though, simple point of law.:wink:

Haven’t seen the announcement, what was the reason given?

However you will recall I didn’t think it would prevail on legal merits, not just Boris’s ability to fund his defence.

Reasons to follow.

Reason for judgement not made public yet but it seems that he didn’t commit any election offence nor was it likely he could be prosecuted for misconduct in a public office so basically no case to answer and Boris can get on with campaigning.

No great surprise there then !

OK, so - some analysis here:

Basically the suggestion is that it failed the “acting in a public office” bit because his campaigning was not part of his public role as MP or Mayor of London but separate from it.

I can feel smug because it’s not a million miles from what I thought - but explained better :slight_smile:

Yes, you should feel very satisfied and smug with your judgement, Paul. Those who vindicated it had much longer to chew over it, and you offered it pro bono publico.

I’d like to know what Jane W thinks about the decision.

It is ok to tell political lies whilst politically campaigning, but trying to bring someone to book is politically vexatious.
The UK is finished.
Hand it over to Farage and his mate Arron Banks.
The Brexiteers deserve all they will get, just a shame so many other decent people will have to suffer at the same time.

2 Likes

If there is any good to come out of this I think prominent individuals in future political campaigns will be a bit more wary of making false claims and lawmakers will look to clarify what constitutes misconduct in a public office.

2 Likes

I think we are now at stage ‘DoubleThink’ .
Here’s the script we are following:

Saw this on FB today - love it!

You know how ‘some’ people carry on about how the UK population is growing so fast because of immigration? Have you wondered ever if the UK is ‘over populated’ compared to other countries around the world? Population density is measured by the number of people in a unit of area by all statistical authorities in the world.

Number 14 is Guernsey and No 15 is Jersey. Lebanon, South Korea, Netherlands, and Israel are in the top 30… Haiti, Japan, Grenada, Vietnam and Jamaica are in the top 40… the United Kingdom only has the 50th highest population density in the world. Even India with its massive land mass is 19 places higher than the UK and they have over a billion citizens! So anyone that tells you that the UK is over populated is trying to scare you, that is a fact.

If the UK’s own sovereign Government isn’t building the required houses, GP surgeries, schools, hospitals etc then you seriously want to have a think about who you have been voting for and why… these sorts of problems are not a result of the EU, NATO, the United Nations, the World Trade Organisation or any other international organisation… the problems the UK have are home grown in their own sovereign government.

It’s not even as if they couldn’t afford to fix their own problems with the 5th largest economy on the planet and a GDP of nearly £2 trillion per year!

So why is immigration and population being thrown around so freely by the Leave EU campaigns?

'cos TM and her cohorts are fundamentally racist? :thinking:

1 Like

Shock horror Graham - surely not ?? :wink:

:+1: +several million

TM rascist - I reckon her record at the Home Office speaks for itself on that one.

It’s no coincidence that about the only thing the WA really  delivers on is no more FoM.

2 Likes

We are an island race, & therefore, regarded as being xenophobic by default…sadly this "myth"is becoming more & more like reality.

1 Like

It has always been my contention that a very significant proportion of the British population is racist, and that Conservative voters are more likely to be racist than not.

People are less overtly racist in 2019 than in the latter part of the 20th century, but covert racism, generally denied - in both the popular and psychodynamic (unconscious) meaning of denial - is endemic. The evidence of institutional racism in the professions is well-attested, as is the disproportionately higher incidence of judicial detentions including mental health detentions amongst blacks, and per capita exclusion of black children from school.

A number of non-white individuals are given prominence as totems of tolerance and ‘celebration’ (by whites) of diversity, but they represent the level of acceptance beyond which black people not should expect to rise, lest they begin to swamp their superiors. Not very many whites are content to work ‘under’ a black or Asian ‘boss’: the general supposition being that they got the position under some kind of quota system, or inflated their experience or qualification in some dishonest way.

This is the reality of life in Britain for most non-white citizens. If you don’t believe me, ask a few non-whites of your acquaintance about their life-careers in white society.

And the situation is getting worse since Brexit has stirred up latent prejudice against, and hostility towards perceived outsiders in general and people of colour in particular.

2 Likes
1 Like

Need to click on the name: Rupert Myers

cheers Simon - he really nailed it in my opinion. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Mine too Stella.

Meanwhile BoJo is advocating not paying the 39 billion pounds which we have agreed to pay over many years as our contribution to the EU pension fund.

There are two points here:

1. I feel sure that the majority of the electorate believe that this is a one off payment and have no idea what it is for.

2. Boris Johnson is advocating that the UK renege on this payment, whilst President Macron has said that it will be viewed as a non-payment of a Sovereign Debt, which will decimate the economic standing of the UK.

If the Tory voters really vote for this dangerous buffoon to become our Prime Minister, they are voting for their own extinction, which is what they really now deserve.