Bovine TB in France

All of the ones round our way (I know the three nearest) are outdoor butchery areas, with a sink. And then a cool store to hang the meat in. But nothing fancy at all!

Yes, local ones here are certainly outdoor. Definitely will investigate further.

My well-known Chasse possibly has had to upgrade, since they do sell a lot of the meat to the public. They donā€™t have anything fancy, just following the various H&S & Hygiene Regulations put in place to protect Joe Public from anything untoward. :upside_down_face:

Other Chasses do their own thing and this does not mean they will necessarily have any problem with the meat productā€¦ :upside_down_face:

Ahhh, if you are selling meat then itā€™s a whole different ball game! Strict liability and all that.

I think that most Chasse will sell their meatā€¦ it is very sought after. Perhaps some Chasse only sell to their Members and not to the neighboursā€¦

Whatever, I would hope the same guidelines are adhered to, for everyoneā€™s sakeā€¦ or a bout of gastro might not be the worst thing to hit a householdā€¦ ooops. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

From what local hunters have explained to me here it doesnā€™t seem like that. They have to buy the bracelets for the particular beasts that they intend to kill, and then the carcasses must be baguĆ©, ie tagged with the bracelet. I think a boar is about20ā‚¬. Then there is a big board up in our hunting lodge with the names of all the hunters, and then for each beast killed you can see who gets which cut. So at the end of the season everyone has had their fair share or good bits and less fine cuts of meat.

What they then do with their portion of meat I donā€™t know, apart from people who tell me theyā€™ve been given some by x or y, but Iā€™ve never heard of money changing hands. Since we donā€™t eat meat we just get off cuts for the dog.

Whatever they get up toā€¦ Iā€™m sure it will be above board and in-line with the regulations applicable for their situation. :upside_down_face:

It probably depends how overrun a particular area is - whether stuff gets sold-on. Game is protected but needs to be culledā€¦ on occasions.

If there is a glut of something - it makes sense to sell to neighbours.

However, it is strictly against the rules to over-hunt anythingā€¦ simply to meet customersā€™ demandsā€¦ :zipper_mouth_face: I heard of this happening once ā€¦ and the Chasse concerned were dealt with very severely.

I have hunted with a local chasse, as a ā€˜day guestā€™. The Chasse were called in by a local Marie to deal with a deer problem, destroying gardens etc. At the end of the day the team had 12 deer, all processed and butchered and joints bagged and placed in the cold-store. That evening I was looking forward to the communal gathering and meal of venison but was disappointed. The Marie turned up, collected all the meat and distributed it around his commune to those deserving or needy. The Chasse never saw a bite! However, after all the guns (and knives) were put away we had a fantastic meal of home-made pĆ¢tĆ©s, sausages and cheesesā€¦with plenty of rough local wines. It was a great experience.

1 Like

Sounds like a great success all roundā€¦ :hugs:

I have had a professional interest in bTB for almost 20 years (APHA scientist). Now retired.

I can support everything David has said about bTB. It always seemed to me that the French were not willing to fully report the situation and that they may have a problem with wild boarā€¦ but without numbers it is difficult to be sure.

On a positive noteā€¦ transmission of bTB to humans from wildlife is extremely rare and transmission to humans from cooked food almost unheard of (milk is another matterā€¦ pasteurisation makes milk safe from bTB ā€¦ [as an aside to an asideā€¦ pasteurisation was introduced in the UK to kill Salmonellaā€¦ not bTB]).

About badgersā€¦ the European badger has a range from the UK to Japan above the equator. It is rare in Mediterranean countries. The highest concentration of Meles meles is in the UKā€¦ and in the UK the highest concentration of badgers is in the South Westā€¦ which is where we find most bTB in cattle. In France the density of badgers may not be enough to sustain bTB but as David mentionedā€¦ other animals can sustain bTB. Wild boar might be able to sustain bTB in Franceā€¦ I donā€™t know.

1 Like

Just out of interest, I have just seen this paper with reference to TB, wild boars and wolves. s41598-019-44148-9.pdf (1.6 MB)
In Asturias, northern Spain it seems wolf predation on wild boar reduced the incidence of TB in the boar making for healthier boar populations and reduced TB contamination of the environment.

We need predators, just look at Yellowstone since wolves were reintroduced.

I donā€™t think people understand that bovine tb transmission can be via badger urine on pastures, not just direct contact.
We used to live near Stroud, a bovine tb hot spot and also a well known green area. The debate was extremely hot!
On our family farm in North Lancashire we were unfortunate enough to get foot and mouth which, it was, established came from a school kitchen over five miles away which was using South American corned beef.
It is not just the loss of an animal, it can, as in our case, be the loss of your pedigree herd and/or not being able to move on your stock which is ready for market and incurring extra feed costs and not being to get the best price for your stock.
Farming is a business as well as a way of life.

Not sure that story is as clear cut as the famous video makes outā€¦ But here is more info on the Yellowstone wolves-https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/upload/YELLOWSTONE-SCIENCE-24-1-WOLVES.pdf
Fascinating reading!
(You can tell itā€™s a grey day in the Pyrenees (hopefully snowing on the tops so I can ski tomorrow !) Also procrastinating - making a start on my tax return.