Brace yourselves

why am I remembering the word napalm and Vietnam here

3 Likes

Records broken.

Israel’s bombing of Gaza killing more civilians than other wars, Israeli study finds

During the first three weeks of Israel’s bombing campaign, the proportion of civilian deaths reached 61 percent of all those killed, compared with about half for other wars, Yagil Levy, a sociology professor at the Open University of Israel, found in an analysis published by the newspaper Haaretz.

UN mourns record death toll in war with over 100 employees killed in Gaza

GENEVA, Nov 10 (Reuters) - More than 100 United Nations employees have been killed since the Israel-Hamas war began in Gaza, the U.N. Palestinian refugee agency (UNRWA) said on Friday, making it the deadliest conflict ever for the U.N. in such a short period of time.

Gaza war is deadliest conflict for journalists in over 30 years

The Committee to Protect Journalists says the Israel-Gaza war has “led to the deadliest month for journalists” since it started gathering data in 1992. Of 61 deaths of journalists and media workers CPJ has recorded as of Friday, 54 were Palestinian journalists, four were Israeli and three were Lebanese.

By comparison, according to CPJ, a total of 68 journalists and media workers were killed worldwide in all of 2022. That total includes deaths in conflicts around the world, and those due to dangerous assignments, targeted killings and crossfire.

Israel destroying Gaza at faster rate than WWII carpet bombing of Germany

The depth of destruction caused by Israel’s bombardment of Gaza in less than seven weeks has been compared to the years-long Allied forces campaign on German cities during World War Two.

A report in the Financial Times (FT) newspaper, based on analysis of publicly available satellite data and interviews with munitions experts, has pulled together the terrifying impact of Israel’s campaign on Gaza towns and cities.

Over 60 percent of north Gaza’s buildings were razed seven weeks into the war, according to analysis of satellite radar data by Corey Scher of CUNY Graduate Center and Jamno Van Den Hoek of Oregan State University.

In comparison, from 1943 to 1945 the Allied forces bombing of German cities devastated an estimated 50 percent of their urban areas.

Despite all of the above, I heard an Isreali spokesman saying that more civilians had been killed in the Iraqi war by Allied forces.
Even if that is the case, the figures in Gaza are totally horrifying.
What government that pretends to be civilised allows children to starve to death?

I haven’t looked into the figures, but do remember that spokesmen are there to broadcast propaganda, not the truth.

Even if that was true, and I wouldn’t believe anything that that any Israeli official says, isn’t it the most despicable whataboutism and stupid justification for mass murder possible?

I have to mute the sound whenever an Israeli spokesman is on radio or tv now, I fear for my blood pressure and particularly hate that smarmy Negev creature.

1 Like

It’s ‘complicated’ but the Iraq war had a lot more civilian deaths than gaza so far:

Not that it makes any of this OK.

There are really only 2 politicians deserving of thanks in my lifetime. Harold Wilson for keeping the UK out of the Vietnam war, and Jacque Chirac for keeping France out of the Iraq one. Certainly the latter got abused by the Yanks for doing so and probably Wilson too, but perhaps less publicly.

Comparisons continue to be made in the media between the behaviour of Hamas and Israel, but one is a terrorist organisation and the other is a legitimate nation state - they’re two different types of entity and shouldn’t be judged by the same moral standards.

1 Like

Indeed Mark. One would expect better of a Country that claims, obviously falsely, be civilised.