Brace yourselves

Biden has f’d up in Afghanistan (albeit Trump had set the course), Ukraine and now Gaza.

I can’t believe I’m writing this, but could Trump be worse on foreign policy?

I can’t believe you’re writing it either! I’m sure you know, things can always get worse. Even in what we think are the worst of times, such as in Gaza at this moment, it can actually get worse. And so sadly for them, each day is.

Trump is quite possibly the type of psychopath who would conceivably, given immense power, turn into another of history’s infamous madmen.

This headline says it all

The very fact he said it, says it all.

Like Stalin, first thing he does will be to go after everyone he considers his ‘enemy’. It’s a long list but he will start with anyone who could stop him. Then, like Hitler, he will rouse up the rabble and guide them into attack dogs on elements of society, like migrants. That will keep them busy.

At some. point America and the world wakes up and says “He is going to far!” By then, it may be too late.

Getting this man elected into power is how democracy is being used. By whom is critical.

Surely this is not a topic for Forum Support?

@billybutcher

All the USA needs is democracy, one person one vote, and all to count, just as what’s needed in the UK.
All this nonsense about college votes and different sized constituencies has to stop, not betting that it will though.
I don’t know enough about the French system, or others, perhaps @vero can enlighten us? :thinking:

Relocated to Politics

1 Like

Biden’s foreign policy folks are earning their pay this year, aren’t they?

Ukraine, the Middle East and now Venezuela deciding Guyana (and her oil) is up for grabs.

The problem isn’t Biden or Trump per se it’s the electoral process that ends with two old men being the only candidates left in the race. Biden is standing again so will be unopposed and Trump doesn’t even need to take part in any Republican debates, bonkers.

2 Likes

Be fair Tim, the Septics had the chance to vote for an old woman in 2016.

Amazes me that these folks are the ‘best’ the country can roll out - surely there must be more capable talent out there with more youth and energy, and a fully functioning brain :man_facepalming:

Biden administration asks Congress to approve 45,000 shells for Israeli tanks - report

The Biden administration has asked Congress to approve the sale of 45,000 shells for Israel’s Merkava tanks to be used in its offensive in Gaza, Reuters is reporting, citing a US official and former US official.

The potential sale is worth more than $500m (£399m) and is under informal review by the Senate foreign relations and House of Representatives foreign affairs committees, it said.

The US state department is pushing the congressional committees to quickly approve the transaction, a former state department spokesperson, Josh Paul, told Reuters. He said:

This went to committees earlier this week and they are supposed to have 20 days to review Israel cases. State [department] is pushing them to clear now.

Good at wars on other people’s territory, aren’t they.

Which will include Europe if they haven’t already done enough stirring up already vers M. Putin, too.

1 Like

are you for it or against this supply and of more weapons in the future ?

No weapons to Israel at all Gordon, apart from genuinely defensive ones, eg Iron Dome. They have far too many offensive weapons already, as they are in the process of proving.

More than 200 people blocked entry to the Conservative party’s headquarters in London before delivering an open letter to 10 Downing Street that calls on Rishi Sunak to back a permanent ceasefire in Gaza.

The action was organised by the group Parents for Palestine and its letter has been signed by more than 12,000 parents.

The protest took place as the UK parliament is scheduled to debate a ceasefire in Gaza and to end the Israeli occupation of Gaza and the West Bank later today.

Kate Joseph of Parents for Palestine said:

“We cannot imagine the pain and fear that parents in Gaza are going through. As parents, we demand that the UK government immediately ends arms sales to Israel and calls for a ceasefire.

How are we to explain to our children that our government is actively endorsing the murder of thousands of children in Palestine? That we are exporting bombs and refusing to call for a ceasefire? For the sake of all children everywhere, the siege on Gaza must end and the occupation must end.”

1 Like

better they disarm and await what’s coming to them as the actress Susan Sandon said

Sarandon perhaps, although maybe Susan Sandon said it too. I enjoyed Sandon’s iconic films Thema and Lose and The Roy Hoor Pice Sow

1 Like

Who Gordon? If you mean Israel I agree. The shit’s certainly going to hit the fan big time over this Gaza ethnic cleansing and the Israeli right wing will not be able to stop, next the West.Bank. These religious fanatics may believe they are setting the scene for the second coming but they are just setting themselves up for a great smiting (to use the vernacular). I lament the millions of Israeli citizens who are being dragged along by these people.

After 2,000 years of being bashed it would appear nothing has been learnt. This “chosen people” bullshit and “it’s all our land anyway” zionism causes overreach and arrogance which will be the downfall of the Jewish state IMHO, I just didn’t think it would start to happen in my lifetime.

1 Like

What next, gas or biological warfare?

White House ‘concerned’ by reports Israel military is using white phosphorus

The White House says it is “concerned” over new reports that Israel used US-supplied white phosphorus in a bombing attack in Lebanon that injured civilians and burned down houses.

John Kirby, strategic communications coordinator for the National Security Council, has just been briefing reporters aboard Air Force One, and was asked about the allegations.

Israel has previously denied it uses white phosphorus, which critics say put civilians at risk of serious and long-term injury, and is banned from use in civilian areas. On at least three occasions, 10, 11 and 16 October, Israel launched attacks in southern Lebanon, with Human Rights Watch posting links to video of “155mm white phosphorus artillery projectiles being used, apparently as smokescreens, marking or signaling”.

Kirby said the Biden administration would be raising the new report with Israel’s government:

We’ve seen the reports, we’re certainly concerned about that. We’ll be asking questions and trying to learn a little bit more.

It’s important to remind that white phosphorus does have a legitimate military utility in terms of illumination and reducing smoke to conceal movements.

And obviously any time that we provide items like white phosphorus to another military, it is with full expectation that it’ll be used for legitimate purposes and in keeping with the law of armed conflict.