Bread-making machine?

You can get lovely organic flour here…we buy in bulk from a local mill. Have pity on the Brits who are cutting themselves off from the european market and let them keep their flour. You may find prices of UK goods change next year too.

Oh Gawd no, don’t send me shopping, the blinkin cakes are gorgeous, and they ain’t cheap.

A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips, was never a truer statement

1 Like

It’s on the list of things to do :grin:

2 Likes

How did you get on with t2 diabetes and low carb diet?

Apparently…Prosecco is low carb…!!

3 Likes

Very well. I followed advice from research by Newcastle Uni’s Prof Roy Taylor and lost a lot of weight quickly. Since then I’ve pretty much excluded flour, sugar, potatoes and other carby foods and concentrated on leafy green veg and other salads plus more oily fish and other high fat foods like cheese, avocado, eggs, etc. Berries in moderation are also good. Moving to France in the last month I’m currently sharing a baguette a day with my wife so let’s see if that is sustainable (weight and blood sugars) :sweat_smile: But the switch to a higher fat low carb diet hasn’t caused my any problems with cholesterol, etc. In fact that has actually improved. I’ve never been on diabetes meds.

2 Likes

:cake::fish_cake::birthday::yum::yum::yum:

You can buy wonderful organic flour in UK too.
Shipton Mill just outside Tetbury is excellent.

I think she was making the point that to Flaneur flour didn’t need to be imported over here from the UK.

1 Like

You can buy wonderful flour in the Bio shop in Cluny, but at a huge price.

Shipton Mill is what I use!

We have a a Panasonic SD-ZB 2502 that makes a loaf every other day and also using gluten free ingredients. Just fabulous to have fresh gluten free bread without the huge cost of visiting the “special needs” aisle in the supermarché

You obviously have the hassle of buying the ingredients and preparing the mixer but can be set to run overnight so fresh loaf for breakfast.

We buy ingredients in bulk so cost of each loaf is very cheap.

1 Like

Good for you.

In the 80s I went into John Lewis and picked up a lovely black and stainless steel bread oven and at checkout asked if that was the model recommended. NO she said, I would only recommend the Panasonic. Never fails.

She was right, it never has.

I’m now on my third.

I like a 70% wholemeal loaf using T155. Excellent Chorley Wood style bread. Good for slicing. To make a baguette I use the Panasonic to produce the dough. Prove it and bake it in a normal oven.

I love French Bread but the shop is 5kms away and they don’t like me turning up at 7am in my pyjamas.

1 Like

I have a Panasonic one, not the cheapest but absolutely superb. We bought the top of the range one, this has a separate nut and yeast dispensers in the lid which is well recommended. So whilst we of course eat excellent french bread we also bake using local and UK speciality flour.

echo that comment

what mill is that…is it on line?
I think post transition this will be the kind of UK product (flour and similar grocery) that it will not be possible to get or bring here unless a good trade deal is done.

Go into your local bio shop (here it is biocoop, but we also have one called brin de paille) and look at the flour they have for sale. Some of it should be locally sourced and will give the name and address of the mill. So you can look them up and buy direct more cheaply (flour is heavy so can cost a lot to get it delivered). Ours comes to a nearby market once a month, so we can buy there if we can’t be bothered to go to the mill ( https://www.moulin-marion.fr/nos-gammes/farines-bio-15.html)

1 Like

Thanks…we use Biocoop too.
Interestingly Magasin Verte sell a number of very acceptable all in one mixes. I don’t normally like these but the big advantage I can use them on a 2hr programm so can produce cooled loaf useable 2 .1/2 hrs later.

I thought the problem with French flours was that they are “soft” whereas the best bread is made with “hard” flours.