Breakdowns in France

There has to be a first time and despite driving second hand cars for over 50 years we had our first breakdown yesterday in Limoges. The gear stick became totally loose so couldn’t get into any gear. Luckily we were on the brow of a hill so was able to manoeuvre off the road. Thankfully I had my insurance cert with me I rang the given number and again luckil.y the receptionist spoke good English. The breakdown recovery vehicle was promised within 45 mins and it came within 30 mins driven by a very competent young lady. I had to then ring the insurance company to arrange a taxi That took a fair bit of time being Sunday especially as they kept asking for a more detailed address and then we had the help of a really good Samaritan. She lived in a flat close by and had seen the whole scenario and realised I needed the precise address. So she took charge of my phone and explained where we were and took my OH up to her flat and gave her a cup of coffee which was a bit of a lifesaver as it was so cold. She had to have another go at the taxi driver after about half an hour as he couldn’t find our location . Anyway he did come eventually and I asked him if he had our address from the insurance company and he said he did. All seemed well but after about half an hour we realised we were going in the opposite direction ab and the fare was approaching 300 euros! He had the wrong address! Anyway we got home eventually it took us two hours instead of one. No charge as yet so I assume the insurance company will cover the cost. Tomorrow I have to arrange for our car to be taken to our local garage. It looks like the part that’s broken is just a plastic pin so if they can get the part then it shouldn’t cost too much. It could have been a lot worse!

1 Like

Yep, that’s how it worked for us. When we broke down (coincidentally on our way to Limoges one Xmas Eve) the insurance company paid for our taxi from Angoulême to Limoges and also from Limoges back to Angoulême in order to pick the repaired car up. I think the total for those 2 fares wasn’t far off our insurance premium for the year!

1 Like

Limoges… It’s jinxed! We also broke down a few years ago on the way to catch a flight to the UK to see my mum. I was pretty sure I was going to miss it. We called the insurance, a breakdown guy came, and I got a taxi ride to the airport. Phew! I don’t recall paying for any of that. And I don’t recall what happened with OH and the car! I was so happy to have made the flight. Then, coming to pick me up from the airport a couple of weeks later, he got a speeding ticket - somewhere along that road by the Vienne.

1 Like

And us!

We were stopping overnight at a very out of the way chambres d’hôtes about 20km outside Limoges. Next morning (a sunday) as we came to leave our car was completely unresponsive. Kind owner drove down to main road to collect mechanic and tools as he couldn’t find the track let alone get his van up it.

Got it going and we had a stressful 500km drive home as didn’t dare stop.

3 Likes

That sounds fairly nightmarish! Glad you got home safely in the end and the repairs aren’t going to be too difficult.

memo to self: Avoid the Limousin! :smiley:

2 Likes

Is it the hills and valleys putting more strain on things?

Given that we come from the mountains more likely the reverse!

1 Like

Just an untimely event then? I have visited dome of the areasin the DoingDoing and as stunning as the scenery is some of those hills!

My experience was much scarier, in the middle lane of the 3 lane autoroute heading towards Lyon, I came to a stop in a bouchon and the same thing happened, the gear lever became all loose and unconnected. I put the hazards on and got out to the side of the road ringing the insurance as I did. Then the bouchon cleared and my car was stranded in the middle of the high speed flow of traffic. I stood even further away expecting a massive accident to result.

Then the traffic slowed to a trickle and soon no more vehicles arrived, I thought that there must have been another blockage further back but in fact the whole autoroute in that direction had been closed by the gendarmes at the previous junction.

The reccer arrived and, because I had missed the evening meal I had planned at a routier further on, he helpfully stopped at a service area for me to get some sandwiches before I was locked in with my Teardrop in his yard for the night.

The next day a gear was selected on the gearbox to allow me to trundle the 100 metres to a repairer nearby where I left it and went by taxi to a hire car place so I could drive home. When it was ready I had another hire car and taxi back to pick it up and the whole cost was picked up by Aviva. :grinning:

3 Likes

Me too, had just bought a s/h 3.0 BM estate in London the day before and the turbo fan disintegrated on the A20 just north of Limoges.

Very worrying at the time, but all turned out well.

Had an excellent meal that evening - always a good restorative.
My hotel en suite had a sliding glass door, that was subsequently copied for both our bathrooms.
My insurers returned the car to the dealer and I got my money back.

2 Likes

Haha… for such a small town, Limoges must be a goldmine for mechanics and recovery truck drivers :smiley:

2 Likes

Spell checker has a mind of it’s own but this creased me up :rofl:

3 Likes

Yes, DoingDoing as in the sound of a bell, not the present continuous of ‘to do’

Are you saying that car insurance in France covers breakdown recovery as well? Or is it a separate insurance like in UK?

No Chris, don’t do that !

I lived and worked near or in Limoges and never broke down once !

In my experience yes.

2 Likes

Yes, it does. :grinning:

1 Like

Yet another wonderful thing about France :grin:

2 Likes

I am insured with NFU mutual in the UK, my insurance includes breakdown cover. :innocent:

1 Like

Standard option, and you can decide whether from front door or beyond 25 or 50km

1 Like