Breakfast tea recommendations?

We go to our(tiny boutique style) local tea and coffee shop. We buy loose-leaf Ceylon for the morning and Grand Yunnan for the afternoon.

I’m not ‘enraged’ - but really surprised and disappointed. I run several self-hosted forums myself and the idea of tinkering with member posts is really only considered for correcting significant typos or other errors - never to embellish or alter the meaning or emphasis of what that member posted.

And I wasn’t informed either.

I know this topic is about tea for my wife, but if I drink tea, of any type, it’s black!

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes: with everything that’s going on in the world, life’s to short.

3 Likes

I buy from Vahdam on Amazon France. I used to buy from them in the Uk as well. They do a Breakfast Tea ; when I first got it it was the same tea as their Assam. Using it for about 8 years now.

No it’s not; integrity and respect for what people are saying in their posts is important. I respect your right to reply and wouldn’t dare edit them unless they broke the T&Cs of the forum.

@Vitesse For the sake of your blood pressure, calm down.
Stella made a slight modification to the thread title to reflect the direction in which the thread was evolving - thereby enabling more SF members to benefit from your words of wisdom.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answers, Vero. I was rather hoping you could shed some light on why, judging by the preponderance of it on the shelves, the French seem to prefer demi-écrémé?
In my youth in England we only had full cream milk (with the cream separate on the top, lovely!), and when semi-skimmed first became available, I remember my mum complaining about the price, saying that if there was only half the fat it should be much cheaper!

Talking of milk, I saw this on TF1 yesterday…

To be honest, @Rachman , I think the half-fat instead of full-fat situation has been the same in the UK for very many years. With the advent of lower-fat dietary recommendations, the big supermarkets have been stocking far more half-fat than either full fat or skimmed from quite a long time before I left the UK to come to France. The big difference between the two countries regarding milk supplies, in my view, is to do with the preference for UHT over fresh.

4 Likes

We don’t drink milk in general really after early to mid childhood, and maybe full fat milk tastes a bit nauseating. We don’t put it in things really either, where GB people might put milk in potage or lapin à la moutarde or suchlike we put a dollop of creme fraîche. Historically we probably used some of the cream for other things so maybe demi écrémé was more common.
I use whole milk only for making crème caramel /œufs au lait /île flottante and demi écrémé for crèpes and scones. Milk isn’t part of my diet really. I don’t see the point of skimmed milk at all. But I come from the South-East where cows’ milk isn’t part of our culture anyway.

1 Like

I’ve begun to wonder if the milk situation isn’t a bit like chicken.

In the mass market outlets chicken drumsticks, then chicken thighs, then that cut that’s kind of a big drumstick and thigh and then not much of something else, are easy then relatively easy to find.

But a decent chicken breast in the mass market middle and lower range channels? quite hard to find.

I wonder if like all the decent bits of chicken (and to some extent duck and pintade) have been taken by restaurants and upmarket Paris (well that’s how it feels), cream has been taken off the milk to sell at a high price and the average consumer is left with a relatively diminished product that’s not actually sold much cheaper?

1 Like

But we wouldn’t use whole milk because it leaves a nasty feeling in your mouth and it is a food designed to make calves put on 200kg in 6 months and we don’t like being overweight.

Buy a whole chicken and cut it up, then use the bits you don’t eat for stock. :wink:

1 Like

I’m actually fine. The medium of text-only can be misleading. But some comments need a, respectful, retort. I’m happy to move on.

1 Like

@Rachman I don’t like not knowing things so I looked

1 Like

We buy this, chosen because I hope it benefits the farmers in France

https://twitter.com/eleveursmerci

(I expect @vero to be horrified that my husband and I drink 3 giant bols de café au lait every morning, getting through 2 litres a day! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:)

Not horrified, you are not French, of course you don’t worry about your liver :wink:

2 Likes

My favourite tea is Clipper organic Tea,however although it seems to be well established in France I’ve not seen just the plain breakfast teas on sale in my neck of the woods.
I can only drink it with Bjorg unsweetened Soya milk even though this is vile in coffee and so coffee has to be black or made with real milk;

Have you tried sojasun USM?

No but willing to try anything that doesn’t have the aftertaste that some Soya Milks do .

No. Brit. So, more worried about what others think of my liver :crazy_face:

1 Like