Brexit and EU citizen rights

No, I know better than arguing with un(e) fonctionnaire - on either side of the channel :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know, Bill, but would the law that allows you to do that still be valid after brexit? Does it only apply to people from EU member states?

1 Like

Hi Debraā€¦ I seem to recall that it was decided: To deny anyone Resident in Franceā€¦ the right to choose their land or birth for their Inheritance Lawā€¦ would be discriminatory. Having said that, there is a legal path which must be followed to ensure that the correct phrasing etc is used ā€¦

Our ā€œlegal eagleā€ @Guillaume_Barlet-Bat knows all about itā€¦

1 Like

Thanks very much Debra, for coming back, are Americans, Australians etc able to apply their countries Law in this case?

The EU Inheritance Law about ā€œland of birthā€ applies to every Resident in France ā€¦ but must be done through the correct legal channels before death :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Suggest that the regulation re wills wonā€™t change after Brexitā€¦

1 Like

Willsā€¦ and Inheritance are discussed at great length in the LEGAL ADVICE section of this forumā€¦

there is a wealth of questions/answers/informationā€¦ just waiting for you all to findā€¦ :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

We wrote our own wills (holographic) quoting the relevant acts, took them to the notaire to look through. She said they were ā€˜perfectā€™ and would be acceptable by law. Whatā€™s more she didnā€™t even charge a sou :slight_smile:

Of course everyoneā€™s situation is different so it pays to take legal advice.

As Stella says there is a lot of information on this forum :slight_smile:

Hello Philip,
Getting back to the original post;
Iā€™m sorry to hear about your wifeā€™s health problem , and understand your reluctance to get involved with the ā€œpaperasseā€. However , I have been surprised by some of the posts on this thread stressing the difficulty of obtaining a ā€œcarte de sejour permanenteā€.
Like you , we had cartes in the 90s and applied to renew them via the Charente-Maritime Prefecture. At the interview , we found that all our original documents were still on file , and the very helpful and friendly lady there was really only interested in our last 5 years of tax avis - as she said they proved that we are resident and have sufficient resources and confirmed our address. It is free of charge.
I am certain that you will have no difficulty.
On the other hand , friends who have gone for naturalisation, have found the process expensive, and long-winded , and at least one , although quite wealthy was turned down , because , living solely off bank interest , he was deemed to have no secure income.

Me too Patrick - surprised to say the least! I found the whole process really simple, efficient and quick - one day short of 3 weeks from start to finish, cards in hand. Iā€™ve always found it invaluable to ask the Prefecture what they want before going off at an unnecessary tangent! Easy paperwork, easy meeting (finger prints etc) - totally stress free! Vive lā€™AriĆØge!! :slight_smile:

OK well as an inactive in the Charente, divorced twice and with three children under my charge, the combination of the briefcase and box file I had to carry to my prefecture was quite heavy!

Nine months from making the appointment to getting the card!

Iā€™m really impressed when I hear of people have a simple and quick procedure and just wish all the prefectures could have that. Still, at least I got one and only needed the two visits (one to supply all the paperwork and one to pick up the card). Iā€™ve read some awful accounts of experiences at other prefectures. The guy in the Connexion who is writing a diary of his procedure is an example - though at least he got a card, albeit only with a yearā€™s duration. Many have simply been sent away with nothing, their application not even considered, because their prefecture refuses to issue them to EU Citizens or even specifically British people.

My sonā€™s dossier for his application for naturalisation was comparatively simple.

Just nuts isnā€™t it Debra! :-:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yep!

I was told I needed translations of all my certificates etc, so at great expense I got them all done - but the guys who handled my application (one was in training) didnā€™t actually look at the translations but just entered the details from my originals (which werenā€™t less than 3 months old). Yet since then, people who have applied at my prefecture have been told they need the translations - and turned away if they didnā€™t have them. Seems odd when that EU rule about not needing them has supposedly been implemented in France, even though itā€™s not mandatory yet.

3 Likes