Brexit deadlock - as Tusk says ‘special place in hell’ for Brexiteers with no plan

Everyone banned from SFN.:grinning:

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with a little “rummage” in the cinema!

Ah… Memories… :wink::wink:

1 Like

Did they have ‘talkies’ when you were rummaging in the cinema Stella?:grinning:

1 Like

Sitting in the back row, it was not always clear what they were talking about… or if they were, indeed, talking…:thinking::roll_eyes::hugs:

If there is a heart button…maybe we should have a down arrow, to register our disapproval…

We have had this conversation a couple of weeks ago

4 Likes

" Libertarian writer David Boaz argued that terms left and right are used to spin a particular point of view rather than as simple descriptors, with those on the “left” typically emphasizing their support for working people and accusing the right of supporting the interests of the upper class; and those on the “right” usually emphasizing their support for individualism and accusing the Left of supporting collectivism. Boaz asserts that arguments about the way the words should be used often displaces arguments about policy by raising emotional prejudice against a preconceived notion of what the terms mean…"

Thus UKIP is considered by many to be a party of the centre…not the extreme right…& not inherently racist or xenophobic…

In case people don’t know of the Cato Institute, the “US 10th best think tank”.

The Cato Institute is libertarian in its political philosophy, and advocates a limited role for government in domestic and foreign affairs. This includes support for abolishing minimum wage laws; opposition to universal health care; the privatization of many government agencies including Social Security, NASA, and the United States Postal Service; abolishing child labor laws; and a non-interventionist foreign policy

The above is from Wikipedia. Boaz is a graduate of Vanderbilt University, a private college in Nashville, Tennessee.

1 Like

Well this is mentioned recently by the good old unbiased BBC…
"The new national service will cover all 16-year-olds, girls as well as boys, and will be divided into two distinct phases…The first phase is a mandatory one-month placement with a focus on civic culture, which the government says will “enable young people to create new relationships and develop their role in society”.

Voluntary teaching and working with charities are among the options being looked at, alongside traditional military preparation with the police, fire service or army.

The second phase is a voluntary placement of at least three months and up to a year, in which young people will be encouraged to serve “in an area linked to defence and security”

It would come in very useful in recruitment into the EU army as proposed by Merkle "…see this link…

1 Like

“Argument by Emotive Language”

So have you found it a useful publication?

3 Likes

“Keeping Trump & Putin at an arms distance?”
Do you know where Trump and Putin keep their armies, Peter?

In their sleevies :joy:

5 Likes

Doing a history o level many years ago the teacher asked ‘ Where did Napoleon keep his armies ‘ and received that answer. It didn’t go down well

2 Likes

BBC - unbiased? Are you living in a parallel universe?

3 Likes

At the risk of sticking my neck out I do think BBC does its best to be unbiased unlike most of the recognised papers. Whether or not you agree with them they all seem to have pretty predictable points of view. The BBC usually gets bashed from all sides which I take to mean it is less biased then most

But shoot me down by all means Catherine

3 Likes

Unfortunately the BBC, especially over Brexit thinks balance is giving equal coverage to a rally of some three quarters of a million people and to Farage addressing a few hunderd.

As they say:

6 Likes

It’s stopped working for me too. It just provokes an interruption by strong text whover he/she may be. :thinking::muscle:

Reminds me of the “Royal Flush” feature episode from Fools ‘n’ Horses, the bit during the opera where Del Boy is munching crisps, crushing the bags, unwrapping sweets etc; and then to top it all whistles along ‘cos he knows this bit dun he’… A classic :laughing:

I might agree that the BBC shows a bias towards British news, although it also covers a broad swathe of international topics, from a British perspective. Doing that is not wrong or biased, IMO.

Although quantitatively most output could be fairly judged ‘metropolitan’, middlebrow and middle class, that reflects the taste of its historically self-selecting listeners, if not viewers.

It has a strong and generally popular ‘light entertainment’ and local/regjonal repertoire of broadcast content.

I have always thought that in covering ‘political’ issues it strives to do so in a poltically even-handed and unbiased fashion. I think I live in the real world,as fully as most people can or want to.

Although my orientation to reality is affected by my genetic inheritance, my upbringing, my education and life-choices and though I have biases myself, my mind is not closed to points of view that challenge my own, and I have the BBC to thank for that, in no small measure.

Other people’s views on BBC bias will be very interesting to read.