Brexit deadlock - as Tusk says ‘special place in hell’ for Brexiteers with no plan

Before I left school, my dad told me a good way of getting trade was to join up…I didn’t share his view, so I took an apprenticeship with the local builder.
I’m sure there are many arguments for & against a type of “national / social service” in whatever form it may or may not eventually take

1 Like

I think National Service is a good idea but expanding the armed forces as a way of reducing the dole queues isn’t.

Yep…it could very easily be seen to be just this very thing

Or increasing the number of fonctionnaires.
Or sending all your best young people abroad .

My mum always says that apprenticeships were where teenage boys learned about life because they worked with older men who were husbands and fathers.

A ridiculous statement. As someone who attended a convent school i can assure you my parents did not avoid disciplining or encouraging me.

Exactly.

Maybe things are very different from when you went to a convent school in UK than the one in which my friend teaches now here in this part of France.
She teaches seven to eights who are totally unruly.
I am only passing on what I have been told.

I think lack of parental discipline could be a feature in many schools and probably has been for a while.

1 Like