Brexit - here's a good read from a French insider's perspective!

Hi David,
Please can I remind you to keep this ‘non-personal’ otherwise I will be forced to draw it to the attention of my ‘fellow moderator’ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Ta x

1 Like

Another contributor once described you as “someone who would enter into an argument with an empty room”. I also witnessed the distressing spectacle of you and Simon Armstrong joining forces against the person who articulated that view. It wasn’t an edifying sight. My vote to leave was cast in sympathy with a large number of people who had not been benefitted at all by our membership of the EU. That personal enough for you? This was meant for David Martin but it should come your notice anyway.

Who are you talking to Tim?

Plainly David Martin.

Gosh what a stunning display of hypocrisy - I’m alright jack b****r you.

I’m sure I could poke holes in a few more.

However my point was that the list of benefits is open to interpretation, how you view these examples will tend to depend on your pre-existing bias.

Thus a Brexiteer will interpret “78. EU rules governing health and safety at work” not as protecting the rights of workers to a safe working environment but as EU interference in the running of businesses.

The more cynical (who, me? :slight_smile: ) might wonder whether already well-heeled business owners wanting increase their wealth further by saving a little on elfin safety might also have a vested interest in the interpretation of point 78 - one more to do with the baser instincts around profit than ideological ones in the interference in UK industry’s sovereign right to self-determination.

Similarly “87. A ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives” might be considered not in the warm glow one gets from realising that the EU has your interests at heart in providing safe and wholesome food but from the revulsion some clearly experience when denied the opportunity to make a quick buck.

For the record I tend to be in the warm glow camp.

Totally agree - calling people arrogant or bastards is generally not a helpful way of holding discourse. At the very least it is going to entrench people even more firmly in their views. Sadly this increased aggression around Brexit infects not just SF but rather more worryingly Whitehall as well.

Perhaps; the figures suggest that they were in the minority though - 71% of the 18-24 age group voted remain.

1 Like

Out of curiosity Tim, can you give an example of someone you know who was disadvantaged by the UK’s membership of the EU and how that disadvantage came about and how it manifested itself?

That is just being two faced and taking what he is denying to us.

By immigrants I assume he mean British retirees and second home owners who make up the largest proportion of incomers to villages in UK.

1 Like

"No I merely pointed out that many UK citizens voted the way they did because they had the perception that they were becoming strangers in their own land. "
So by those ‘perceptions’ if the French who live in the Dordogne or other equally popular destinations with the British were given a vote it might be that they too felt that they were strangers in their own land.
Do you actually have a house here in France? I ask because if so then you certainly have double standards !

2 Likes

Let’s get things into perspective… it is less than 9 weeks to Christmas and I have to get the Carol sheets done…

I’ve worked my way through 23 different versions of Silent Night, nearly as many O Holy Night…and now 30 different Away in a Manger… :roll_eyes::open_mouth::unamused:

Brexit is very much on my back-burner…

1 Like

I wish that I could put it put of my mind, but it keeps reminding me of the way we are being treated, as second class citizens of our own country.

Examples, please, of anyone “treated as second class citizens of our own country”.

Try concentrating on something else… it is the only way to stay sane…

Christmas is coming, all of a rush it seems, once the clocks go back…

We went to Limoges a couple of weeks ago, (130 kms from us) as we were there for the day decided to lunch in a Chinese restaurant recommended by a friend. The choice of food was good, not a chip in sight, but the Christmas songs playing were a bit of a distraction :rofl:
As for Brexit it’s on a back burner, no one knows for sure what we are going to need afterwards so why panic, or spread panic now ? What help is that to anyone and I for one have too many other things on my mind!
Merry Christmas ho, ho ho :hugs: :santa::santa:

1 Like

Limoges is a lovely town… too long since we last visited and wandered around there… :relaxed:

Yes I like Limoges, spent a lot of time there in the past so know it very well. Amazed at the increase in the volume of traffic on the autoroute though, especially nose to tail lorries.

Have you heard Anthony Warlow singing O Holy Night? He has a beautiful voice.

Paul, I set out a number of examples of the way in which UK citizens had been prejudiced by our membership of the EU in an earlier debate, with David Martin and Simon Armstrong. That is still available I imagine. If I take the trouble to rehearse the arguments, yet again, we both know that most people on this site will simply try and pick out of it something, anything, with which to win the argument. I will end up having to respond to a larger and larger group, all of whom share the same viewpoint.

Hello Tim, as I asked earlier do you live or have a home here in France ?

I am just pointing out some home truths. Why are you so upset. You made the reference to immigrants spoiling towns for the local population leaving yourself open to ridicule.