Brexit - here's a good read from a French insider's perspective!

You tell me. You are obviously never going to change yours. When a leave voter actually explains why leaving the EU will be beneficial for Britain I will listen. I’m still waiting.

2 Likes

This is why Marc Roche changed his mind… he can see that those behind Brexit are motivated by a race to the bottom to create a low regulation tax haven to which capital will flow and from which profits made at the expense of those outside the privileged few. Indeed, as Roche points out, it will be those who voted for Brexit who will be hardest hit.

“The country’s acceptance of social and class inequalities, the total deregulation of the labor market, its pool of cheap labor, the weakening of trade unions and the reduced scope of its welfare state may be anathema to most Europeans. But together they will offer an advantage to a nation that has always been Darwinian and believed in the survival of the fittest.”

3 Likes

It’s almost as if Roche’s article was written tongue-in-cheek, as he concedes that:

“Outside of the bloc, the U.K. will not be a better country. But it will be a different country — and it will be a real wake-up call to an EU on the brink of implosion.”

Not a country I want to live in.

3 Likes

Made famous by a Renaud song in 1980.

Tim Shipman voted Remain. The reason people voted to leave IMO is that ever since joining the EEC British politicians have taken the credit for anything good that has happened and blamed Europe for anything bad that has happened. As a result too many British people don’t understand the EU and certainly don’t understand the benefits of membership. These people were susceptible to the lies pumped out by the odious Dominic Cummins through BoJo, the Daily Mail, etc. It was the biggest confidence trick in the history of the UK.

Shipman’s book “All out war” gives great insight into how the referendum was fought and won.

2 Likes

I understand that JRM has already moved his investments to Dublin.

1 Like

They have opened an office in Dublin as after Brexit financial institutions trading in the EU will have to based in the EU. The end of so called “passporting”.

1 Like

The duplicity of JRM, Farage, Lawson and Johnson is sickening.
I think all mp’s pro leave should have to publish their complete accounts before it goes through and let’s have them put in with every wage slip and benefit form so the real victims of this conjuring trick can see the truth.

I apologise. I meant Ian Martin.

Once again my posts have been suppressed. This because I referred to the “breathtaking arrogance” of one contributor. Apparently numerous complaints followed. However this sensitivity compares badly with the tolerance of the language used by others in their criticisms of the views of Leavers. Thus Pam Thompson concedes that Leavers might be technically legitimate (contrary the views of another Remainer) but they are “selfish gullible and dim…”

1 Like

If by virtue of getting the most votes in the referendum you are suggesting that “Leavers might be technically legitimate” then you are factually correct. I would, politely, suggest however that that is where any ‘legitimacy’ ends. As I, and numerous other posters have asked, can you elucidate what benefits you think will result from the UK leaving the EU?

Nope. You made personal attacks on numerous contributors, thus contravening our T&C.
If you require further explanation please message @james who I am sure, will be delighted to explain.

I set it all out in an exchange with David Martin and Simon Armstrong and others some months ago.

I remember that. Wasn’t that when you, a British citizen enjoying life in your French town, was explaining how you voted Leave because you didn’t like the way that British villages had changed since immigrants had moved into them?

5 Likes

snorting with laughter

4 Likes

Now you really are being insulting and I would like this brought to the attention of your fellow moderator.

No I merely pointed out that many UK citizens voted the way they did because they had the perception that they were becoming strangers in their own land. The example I gave was an accurate, if extreme and unusual one.

As many French people do here. You really do suffer from double standards. I can’t imagine that you will see the irony of the situation, Some expats think that they are far too important to be considered alongside those nasty immigrants.

2 Likes