Brexit means Brexit means Doom and Gloom

France is struggling with that ideology, and it isn’t pleasant to watch.

1 Like

Had a chuckle watching this. Loved the Nigel Farage app and the angry fish.

One to make you laugh… and cry!

1 Like

Morons.

Interesting post that Geof. I used to live in Brum, and, as you probably already know, the whole Cadbury Estate, was pub less.

1 Like

Yes - the Quakers were active in the temperance movement - and many other nineteenth century ‘progressive’ causes such as abolition (of slavery) women’s suffrage and the co-operative movement.
I’ve had many Quaker friends over the years, met through my professional life in social enterprise - oddly, most have been atheists, but this seems to be no barrier to participation.

Was, and still is, I believe. I lived in Bournville for a year in 1989 & had to walk to Stirchley if I wanted to find an off licence. There was a big thing about the Tesco Express on Linden Road not getting a licence when it opened.

There was an even bigger hoo-ha in 2015 when a newsagent was given an off sales licence, don’t know if there are any others though. Apart from that there’s a hotel which serves residentsonly and a couple of clubs which serve members only.

1 Like

Not my neck of the woods, but people I know who lived there, were very happy, that there were no pubs, hence, no trouble, or not a lot. And they were very nice houses

They still are very nice houses! It is a very pleasant place - and well kept. There are many controls of what you can and cannot do to your property there.

I used to work for the council in Brum, a long time ago, fixing the street lights etc, never had any vandalism/graffiti in that area, who’d of thought chocolate could be that good. :rofl:

My mother grew up in Willow Road, Bournville, and there was a very nice public house (“The Country Girl”) just a couple of hundred yards away, over the railway bridge between Selly Oak/Bournbrook and the Cadbury Estate. So people from the village didn’t have far to go to wet their whistle.

Three evocative reminders of a 1940s childhood in the near neighbourhood: the all pervading perfume of chocolate; the employees’ shop where my mother who worked on the production line bought misshapen Dairy Box chocolate “seconds” at a big discount; and the tunes emanating from the Bourneville Carillion, a set of bells set in a belfry on the village green, played by a musician sat at a special keyboard. Does it still play, I wonder? :thinking:

Apparently so Peter! Although I had never heard of it before… but thank you for bringing it to my attention :slight_smile:

https://www.bournvillecarillon.co.uk/

1 Like

Interesting interview with the CBI today - whatever the result of the current negotiations they intend to embark on a multi-year campaign for a more comprehensive deal including services, data, more on aviation, more on haulage, etc.
Sound like in effect a campaign to rejoin the single market and customs union!
Et ça continue…

2 Likes

It was always obvious that with no deal, or a deal as limited as was on the table this year would not be the end of negotiations, even without the effect of Covid.

I think the UK is in for a rough 2021.

Covid has and will show, what a farce Brexit is! Boris tried the trumpway, but got scared, when the numbers went up and when he own life was on the line, he quit making fun of the french/european lockdowns.

It would take a courageous man to revert the Brexit nonsense, but courage is something politicians do not have and rather run into disaster!
If the similar idiocy would not taken place in the early 40s, when the master had their escape pills to escape their responsibility!I would not complain!
Teach history and learn from it!

Just the UK? :wink:

Especially the UK because on top of Covid we will have the man-made disaster that is Brexit to contend with.

1 Like

It would take a long time and a lot of cooperation from EU to reverse this now as the date has passed - we left EU earlier this year.

(I would be delighted if it were reversed but unlikely in the short term - all that we will be left with is a blame game - blame COVID, blame EU, blame Remainers - take your pick)

I think that unless there is a last minute Deal the whole of Europe will suffer, but the UK will find it worse.

There will be a deal of some sorts even if it’s not agreed until next year, the idea that on January the 1st ‘no deal’ will result in ‘armageddon’ is being pushed by the media (and interested parties) to put pressure on both sides to come to an agreement.

1 Like