Brexit means Brexit means Doom and Gloom

Ah yes, Guy Hands… that famous player in the field of… private equity.

cf my comments about how it’s time private equity transactions paid small transaction taxes based on their enormous funds flows to support the UK which gives them a very generous home.

More doom and gloom…

This was much more complicated in the not so distant past. I personally, as an engineer, did product approvals testing in labs throughout Europe in the late 80’s and 90’s. We did not just safety but other, country specific, approvals testing in the UK, France, Portugal, Spain, Italy and Poland for our products. That’s six different country approvals for what was essentially a single product offered in those countries. At least today it would only be two approvals regimes coutesy of the EU.

“As Rishi Sunak’s new government warns of “tough decisions” and fear spreads of new austerity, John Harris and John Domokos report from Grimsby - the former fishing town that voted overwhelmingly for Brexit, and then returned its first Tory MP in 75 years.”

I’d so much like to see the UK part of Europe again, as it used to be…

1 Like

They (some) can stand in line for the food bank hand outs, but can still afford to smoke.

I understand where you’re coming from Mark but it is hard to give up smoking when times are good, never mind when they are hard. It would be good to know the nitty gritty of some of these people’s lives. Why does the ex army man have no money? Why is the disabled lady struggling - hasn’t she had lots of hand-outs this year? I don’t want to judge, I want to understand. My son is struggling but at least part of his problem is a car loan.
It was good to get the views of people who voted for Brexit and interesting that they don’t seem to think voting Labour is the answer. Great to see the community pulling together though.

1 Like

I looked again at the video and saw two men smoking – one a fisherman with a fishing boat who is probably better off than the people queuing for food, and I looked closely at the queue and saw one woman with a cigarette.

I’m not looking at details like that or thinking about government benefits - the woman in the wheelchair – I see a town that was promised so much by Boris Johnson & Brexit that for the first time in 75 years it voted conservative.

This thread is titled ‘Brexit means Brexit means Doom and Gloom”, and look where Boris&Brexit have got the town of Grimsby.

There are 3 big problems with observations like Mark’s, aren’t there?

1. The implication that observing what seems to be one food bank user smoking applies to some or all of them.
  2. The obviously false assumption that observing one food bank user smoking means that even this one can afford to buy cigarettes themselves.
  3. But most importantly: do we really want a world in which poor people can’t have even the simplest of pleasures, but are ground down to absolute want like some victorian beggar?
9 Likes

@Geof_Cox you took the words out of my mouth!

10 Likes

as if proof were needed that politicians tell lies - Eustice comes clean from the back benches (to save his own skin perhaps?).
In a way, just telling everyone what the knew anyway…

Rats and ships come to mind Graham

1 Like

You’re right that he didn’t say anything that wasn’t already known by everyone, even if some don’t publicly admit it. I think it’s interesting though because he was in favour of Brexit all along, and because he made his comments on parliament - he’ll have known they’re now on record forever more and that it would cause a stir.

Is this the start of the unravelling? Perhaps some politicians are too inextricably linked (JRM, Johnson, Frost) to ever admit Brexit has been - and still is - harmful to the UK but possibly they’ll soon be a minority amongst Brexiters.

1 Like

I think it had already begun…
The significance of mentioning the civil servant from the floor of the house is the one of parliamentary privilege - Falconer can’t sue him :wink:

2 Likes

Good point. Hadn’t considered that.

I should stock up on popcorn. This could be fun to watch :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

2 Likes

Let’s face it, even pre Brexit Grimsby wasn’t exactly the pearl of the east. In fact, as far as back as I can remember it has always been the @r$#h@le of the world.

1 Like

The clue’s in the name, though personally I reckon Immingham is worse.

I’d quibble as to whether smoking is a “pleasure”, but we see something similar in the “they can all afford mobile phones” accusations - as if a phone was a luxury in today’s world. It certainly isn’t for most claimants as they need a phone and Internet connection to even be able to claim benefits in the first place.

Grimsby is the arsehole of the world and Skeggy is about fifty miles up it.
It should be renamed ‘Youngsville’

Here’s one way around the export problem… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

So, the ONS reports salaries are up (not as much as inflation mind) but employment is down :roll_eyes:

the piece de resistance perhaps coming on Thursday with the (long awaited) Autumn budget statement…

Brexshit still a factor, undoubtedly…

1 Like

2 Likes