Brexit means Brexit means Doom and Gloom

More Brexit realism

We went often to Skegness in the olden days. My mother found it ‘bracing’ and therefore a Good Thing. And I liked the donkeys on the beach. On the prom the resident photographer would take people’s photos. We would usually go to the pier later to buy a print.

But we never went to Grimsby…

Skeggy was the nearest coast to where I lived and was the place to drive to as young hot heads with wheels.
My wife spent many happy holidays as a child at the Derbyshire Miners Holiday Camp and later with our own children courtesy of her late father who was a miner.
Skeggy might not be what it was now but my memories of the 60s and 70s are of a happy vibrant seaside resort.

1 Like

Well, what a surprise!

Actually I meant to say Scunny.

Scunthorpe, now I see where you are coming from, shall we blame your error on predictive text :rofl:

1 Like

Nah, I confused the two. Skeggy is an ok place or, at least it was in the 70s and 80s.

1 Like

Personally I prefer Whitby, though we spent a lot of time in Scarborough when I was a kid as we had family that lived there.

2 Likes

Well you should have done, Grinmsby, Scunthorpe and Hull are nowhere as grim as portrayed in popular culture.

Best kippers in country from very old established firm of Fortunes, still use their traditional smoke house.

1 Like

That is not fair or even of appropriate use of such words…yes the area might have been big on Brexit but still not pleasant…spoken by a North Lincolnshire baby

I love Lincoln.
I had the misfortune to have to work in Grimsby, it’s a dump.

1 Like

We used to go to Whitby regularly, it was only just over an hour from us and was mums favourite place in England. We always went to Fortunes after a good lunch at the White Horse and Griffin, or sometimes Hadleys for the fish and chips :fish::fries:

https://fortuneskipperspostage.co.uk/

Yeah. Not a lot more you can say really. Didn’t work there, but had to go to KTL regularly in the 80’s for modem approval. Spend 3 nights in a crappy cheap hotel in Grimsby and you know what desperation feels like. I do agree with you about Lincoln. Spent some time there and it’s good.

We walked to Whitby from Robin Hood’s Bay, the day after completing the Coast to coast walk, west to east. We just couldn’t stop walking ! We still have some nice old postcards of Whitby fishermen and their boats.
And in another dimension, visiting tourists apparently ask to be shown Dracula’s tomb, rumoured to be in the graveyard of St Mary’s Church.

Lincoln is a lovely place, I used to go quite often when I lived in Norfolk.
Grimsby is depressing and Scunny was fairly no-go even in the 70s and 80s, pretty dangerous place like so many other UK towns are nowadays.
I also worked across the water in Hull which, though pretty bad was like Eldorado compared to Grimsby.
Spalding too was a nice place to visit.

One of my friends lives in Robin Hood’s Bay. We used to go to his local there, and an old guy would sometimes come down and play guitar. Nice but nothing remarkable. Except that from time to time one of his old pupils would show up and play with him unannounced - Mark Knopfler.

3 Likes

Brexit and drop in workforce harming economic recovery, says Bank governor

Enjoying the irony that the very thing that most motivated Farage and the extreme right - the explicit reason for May’s refusal to soften brexit, and all the shenanigans of Patel etc since - and of course the reason for most of our hurdles as emigrants - ie. ending free movement, curtailing immigration - is turning out to be the most damaging aspect of brexit.

Not only that @Geof_Cox but Paris has overtaken London to become Europe’s biggest Stock Market…

Yes I saw that Graham. The UK has failed to recover from covid in the way its neighbours have - . UK GDP is still below pre-Covid levels, while in the eurozone, despite the fact that it has been more heavily impacted by the Ukraine war, GDP has recovered to over 2% above pre-covid levels; in the US - less impacted by Ukraine - it is over 4% above. The Bank of England governor called this difference ‘dramatic’, and added that bexit had caused a ‘long-run downshift’ in productivity - which was already lower in the UK than its competitors, and is regarded by most economists as the most significant factor in international competitiveness.

The UK has enormous advantages - immense inherited wealth, many, many continuing links around the world with its former colonies, the fact that English is the world’s business language, etc, etc - but it has thrown many of them away through it’s stupid, pernicious love affair with neoliberalism since Thatcher, which is still not entirely purged from either the Tories or Labour. Multinational investors looking at the huge EU market would automatically favour the UK - why not? Their key staff already spoke English, UK legal and financial systems were familiar (having shaped their own in colonial times), it was politically stable, etc, etc. Now they look at the EU market and invest in Paris, etc, despite its disadvantages in terms of language, legal oddities, etc.

5 Likes