Brexit: UK drivers living in the EU urged to get new licence

Definitely seems that they think you are after a higher category… I wonder if there is something ambiguous on the application form… or if you have ticked the wrong boxes… no idea, just wondering…

Anyway… let us know how you get on, please…

Anyone know what the current waiting time is? We sent our applications off early october 2017 and have yet to have any further communication.

This same question on RIFT had several answers of over a year. On another site someone has claimed that an application made in a November was successful. There is no fixed waiting time. Early October is no time in the scheme of things.

Thanks, I was afraid that was the case :frowning:

I really don’t want to have to go back to the UK just to buy a IDP from a Post Office :wink:

A couple of points there. The first is that the IDP is residency based so as a French resident your are not entitled to apply for one in the UK even though you hold a U.K. licence. The second is it’s worth reading the French Interior Ministry’s publication about driving licences, that should reassure you that your UK licence will remain valid after March 29th.

1 Like

All very well being told to swap mu UK licence for an EU one, but with the delay in getting a replacement, what happens if I don’t have a new one come Brexit day? Will my request to exchange be honoured as it was made months ago? Or will it simply be binned an I get lumped with new ex_pats and have to take a french test?
Has anyone any information at all?

Two things.

1. If your application has been made before March 29th you are in the system.
  2. The recent publication from the French Interior Ministry explained that, as a French resident you will have one year to exchange your licence.

David, I’m a bit bit confused.

The UK has said that if you don’t swap before the 29th of March you may have to re-take the test here but it seems that France is saying you have a year to swap, who is correct?

1 Like

From recent personal experience (@james) I would say around 5 months.

1 Like

Well I live in France and am more concerned with the law here than what the U.K. says. The article also uses the word may so that’s not even the same thing. Even in the event of a no deal Brexit you will have until March 2020 to change your licence, or at least submit your paperwork, why the scaremongering about having to retake a test?

1 Like

Hello Roger and welcome to the Forum

This has been chewed over… and chewed over…

If you have got your exchange… into the system… you will have no problem, no matter how long it takes for the system to spit out the exchanged licence.

(I presume you are talking UK to French… ??)

Here we go again, shoot the messenger if you must, please read the second sentence -

What are you getting at. Read the French guidance and you will see that there will be no need to retake your driving test. I cannot believe that you cannot understand what is written. Amazing.

That makes a change… it’s usually The Connexion who make wild statements like that :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The advice to exchange your licence is correct. The advice goes on to explain what might happen if you do not.

Thanks for that David…I’m currently trying to quell flutters of anxiety…I had only just renewed my uk licence (and passport) just before moving here as “U.K.” voted to leave…

I’m finding it difficult to accept that my uk licence with 7 years to run before next renewal is absolutely fine today but due to childish bickering amongst the Tory party it might suddenly become invalid on 29th March…

If it hadn’t been for the DUP the tories would have lost the no confidence vote by one vote…!

Thankyou…for hashtag quelling the flutters…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

France seems to appreciate our situation and is taking positive steps to ensure that, even in the case of a no deal Brexit, it will be as straightforward as possible for us to carry on with our lives.

Do you have to be so effing rude all the time, if you and I were in the same room you wouldn’t speak to me like that I can assure you.