Brexit Vote, what next!

Erm, and a different legal system as well - different laws to familiarise yourself with and comply with; quite important, no?

You were able to move here because as an EU citizen you have the right to freedom of movement. Freedom of movement has certain conditions attached, that you are obliged to meet. Clearly you met them, but hopefully as a responsible citizen you did, prior to the move, check exactly what the conditions are and check that you met them and were confident that you would meet them continuously for the first 5 years at least. In my book, that makes it very different from moving within the UK, where you don’t have any conditions to meet. Do you really not see that?

2 Likes

We had to have our health in place, different system.
We needed to register with the tax authorities, different system.
OK we had to re-register the car.
We went to the Mairie, not usual procedure in UK.
A different legal system yes, but I was not an expert in the British legal system either.
I now know a lot more about how the French carry out their legal system and it is appalling.

I agree with Matt, Tim.

The problem is not so much the result (which I detest but can accept) but the process which has been anything but democratic - unless you define democracy as “as many lies as you can get away with…”

1 Like

Yes, because that’s French and EU law (French social security code)

Yes, because that’s French law (French tax code)

Yes, because that’s French law (French code de la route)

It’s odd that you’re so keen on being adopted by a country whose laws you find appalling! Yes it is a very different system and I actually far prefer it because it’s more transparent. All the French Codes (tax, labour, education, social security etc) are published and easily accessible so you can read them in full for yourself, unlike in the UK where the government websites feed you a dumbed-down version of whatever facts that particular department wants you to know, which isn’t necessarily the full story, doesn’t necessarily answer your questions and doesn’t necessarily tell you all your rights, and when you try to find out more you get passed from pillar to post and met with obfuscation. Citizens Advice Bureaus are about the only people who seem to be able to get through.

2 Likes

But maybe the ‘Leave’ vote would be even higher ?

The arrogance of many of the ‘Remainers’ (of which I am one ) is amazing, I think the vast majority feel a second referendum is a foregone conclusion. One of my brothers voted to Leave and his opinion is even more hard line than before.

1 Like

IMO if there is another Referendum… it might be an idea to have some ground rules… like needing a clear majority of ***** votes… for any result to be acted upon… and if not reached… then back to the polling stations.

Surely, it should have been set-up thus… and was not… hence the chaos that we are going through.

@Peter_Bird - I don’t have an issue with the Leave vote being higher, I would be disappointed but so long as people knew what they voted for that is fine.

1 Like

The Leave voters have just as much to gain from as second referendum because a second win would allow them to know that that decision was still the voters’ choice despite the facts and revelations that have come to light since the first vote.

Sir Humphrey’s view :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I often think of some of the lyrics from this when Brexit rears it’s head. It’s Mrs May’s Plan A and Plan B that made me think of the final two lines.

1 Like

I have finally seen the light with Brexit and I now fully understand why I should chop my left arm off.

You see I am right handed, so I don’t use my left arm and without it I will be lighter and therefore faster. My left arm also uses blood and when I no longer have my left arm there will be more blood to go around the rest of me.

I have been warned by so called “experts” (Doctors) that it will hurt, wont solve anything, and I risk infection - but these “learned” people, they are just scaremongers, “project fear” if you prefer. They simply don’t want to understand.

As you can see I have absolutely clear logic why I should chop my left arm off - short term pain perhaps but long term gain of…er…er…er…er - well I just believe it will be better - please don’t try to convince me otherwise - this is the “Will of the Person” in action.

UPDATE - I have been encouraged by a pair surgeons called Nigel and Jacob, well more butchers if you like, as they will help me chop my left arm off. They seem very keen to help, they also believe that I will be better off without my left arm and apparently it will not impact on them in anyway.

UPDATE 2 - A troublesome non-believer has pointed out that I do use my left hand occasionally, I intend to proceed with the hacking off my left arm as soon as possible but I will keep my left hand. I have faith that in the near future technology will emerge that will enable me to keep full use of my left hand in the absence of my left arm.

7 Likes

As long as you don’t chop off your nose to spite your face you should be ok Mat ! :wink:

This sums it up whatever your favoured outcome :grin:

Don’t you just love those Brexiteers! :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

1 Like

Dyson’s motivations was almost certainly to create an environment where he could treat and pay UK workers exactly the same as his Chinese workers without worrying about any tedious EU legislation getting in the way.

I am not sure what this exactly means for Malmesbury.
When he moved production from the town to Malaysia he increased the research facility and Malmesbury prospered.
Waitrose bulit a supermarket because there were well paid jobs.
Moving the company headquarters I suspect is tax advantageous.
I will never buy one of his products again.
JML is another company which funded Brexit, so don’t buy from them either.

1 Like

Round and round we go again.
I have just received a very heartening reply to an e-mail I sent to my MEP Clare Moody.
She has joined with other MEP colleagues, one of whom is Julie Girling another of my South West MEP’s, who had the Conservative whip withdrawn because of her stance on Brexit, calling on the EU to enshrine the rights of UK nationals in the EU in a legally binding agreement as an EU-wide solution.
She is also campaigning to promote a People’s Vote to break the impasse
She says"Remaining in the EU is by far the best way to ensure that we retain our influence. I share your concern about the conduct of the Vote Leave campaign in the 2016 Referendum. Iam supporting Darren Jones a South West Labour MP who is calling for a full judicial enqiry into the conduct of the Referendum.
It Is crucial that our politics moves on so that politicians can focus on other crucially important issues that face our country. I have no doubt that we need a General Election and a Labour Government led by Jeremy Corbyn, but I do not see that as a way of solving the issue of Brexit."
I do not agree with her remarks about the General Election and Jeremy Corbyn, but it is very good news that our MEP’s are working cross party for our good.
TM’s Plan B still leaves her painted in a corner by her red lines and it does seem that at last she is losing support in her Cabinet.
Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Well, Jane did better than I with a letter to my MP - a boilerplate reply from a lackey and the promise of a ministerial reply which has not, and I doubt will ever, materialise.

Messrs Dunt and Grey write depressingly about the present state of affairs this week.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/01/25/week-in-review-everything-is-dead-everywhere

I’d like to say that they are wrong, that Brexit has not so poisoned the political landscape that debate - even rational thought - is impossible, but I know that not to be the case.

May will either kick the can down what is left of the road until it drops off the cliff edge taking us with it or haul her deal out close to the deadline for one last hurrah in the hope that parliament, faced with the choice between Armageddon and mere disaster will opt for the latter.

Unfortunately I think that the ERG will, at that point put aside any pretence of compromise and vote the deal down because they will know that they will get what they want.

In any “negotiations” with the hard right Ultra-Brexiteers I am reminded irresistibly of the fable of the scorpion and the frog.

Corbyn carries almost as much blame - with no majority and only a slim working margin even with DUP support I suspect that he would have had the chance of getting enough Tory moderates on side to make a difference had he championed an alternative - but he has just stood by, playing party politics and secretly having wet dreams about the prospect of leaving the EU.

Interestingly there was a piece in the Guardian claiming that it is all nothing to do with labour - sorry, don’t buy that, Labour cannot pull the “Innocent Bystander” card on this (and judging by the comments I’m not the only one who recognises this).

I’m tending towards the narcissistic at the moment - if that’s what you want, bring it on. But I suspect people are, indeed, going to come to regret what they wished for on the 23rd of June 2016.

2 Likes

It is the way that the gendarmerie are organised and work that I find appalling.

France has had plenty of time to establish a civil police force.