Brexit Vote, what next!

Well the Articke 50 petition just rolled over the 2 million votes now. It’s growing only 15 odd million to go! Lol

2 Likes

It seems stuck at 2,002,343, not sure if everyone who is going to add their signature has done so or if it is another IT glitch (perhaps related to performance issues).

Folk in the UK have probably gone to bed…

1 Like

I am sure that most of us are, but if you let the bastards grind you down, they have won.

I have just remembeted a ditty from childhood.

Don’t care was made to care,
Don’t care was hung,
Don’t care was put in a pot
And cooked till he was done.

I remember that one, Jane… although we used to say “boiled 'till he was done” and the word “boiled” was always given special emphasis… :hugs:

@Teresaship I don’t think you actually need a conspiracy theory here (though, very early on I did wonder).

Leadsom and May have both, in various comments, made clear that he government doesn’t give a shit about the petition - so why bother trying to suppress it.

Perhaps if it really did amass 17 million signatures they would sit up - that in itself would take quite a long time even at 2000 signatories per minute (just shy of a week).

2.28 million the last time I looked - nearly 300,000 overnight.

One problem is that these are not validated UK citizens (although there have been reports that the team does try to weed out bots), another is that it is a petition, not a vote so there’s no counterbalance. There’s a “leave without a deal” petition which has a bout 400,000 votes but it can’t directly be compared as it has been running a lot longer (and already been debated in parliament).

1 Like

I suppose signing is something we can actually do when feeling so frustrated by the whole fiasco.

3 Likes

To be honest Paul whilst it made me feel better signing it I think it will have no effect what so ever. But, I think next week will see some dramatic changes ahead now. May’s last chance saloon will I think backfire on her. She simply does not have the numbers to get her deal through and her speech the other night just alienated those that were supporting her. I think her vote will go down to just as big a defeat as the last one she may even go backwards again.

But, it’s what happens after that, that could make the difference. I think it will almost certainly then bring about Corbyn calling a vote of no confidence in the Government, that’s if May doesn’t resign first! Though she is such a stubourn cow I am not now convinced she will. But, if she doesn’t and Corbyn or even Blackford may call a no confidence vote if Corbyn doesn’t. I would not rule out some of the Conservatives voting against their own Government. I think there will be a series of indicative votes on a number of options, but I think a no deal will be blocked and a long extension requested to and granted. And then a push to change Government and go for a general election. But that election I suspect will be one of the most brutal, acrimonious ever witnessed in the UK.

I’m sad to say I think this is heading towards rolling on for at least another two years!

Agree 100%, I’m still prevaricating about the march tomorrow for the same reason - might make me feel a bit better but probably won’t make much of an immediate or direct impact. Also I’ve looked at the route, quite a small space in which to fit a million people so there is a personal safety aspect as well.

Its an interesting move - it’s certainly swung the needle back slightly in favour of May’s deal as the ERG can no longer rely on no-deal if they blow it out of the water. I doubt, however, that it has swung far enough to get it through - especially after the reception of May’s speech last night and the fact that the DUP are still against the current WA - but you never know.

I think it will put some wind behind the “People’s Vote” campaign if May fails for a 3rd time bringing her deal before parliament. I am still not of the view that it is a good  idea but it is starting to look like the least awful way of providing some clarity.

If we get to the 12th with no route forward then we will exit without a withdrawal agreement - lousy timing for me personally as we’re coming over to France that night so we would literally walk onto the ferry as EU citizens and walk off as 3rd party nationals. If we enter France on the 1st day post no-deal Brexit I fully expect total chaos at the port.

I am a little embarrassed to say I think Andrea Leadsom has a lovely sounding voice - it is just a great shame it spouts such utter hateful shite at all times.

(now that is a change of direction for this topic!)

1 Like

Oh dear Paul don’t envy you that trip, I was looking at being in similar position with May’s original June dates as it fell when I plan to be in France for two weeks starting work on the house. So I totally understand your concerns.

I would agree about the concerns for personal safety on the March the route is quite tight in places and if you get some rogue elements causing trouble there’s not much escape space for a crowd of that size.

It’s hard to call on Numbers but I think there will be enough Tory rebels including remainers like Clarke and Grieve and ERG hardliners like Francoise who will vote against the deal. I think Labour will definitely 3 line whip against it to. Don’t think she has the DUP yet either they may hold out for a bigger bribe!

I’m still not convinced we have the numbers in Parliament for second referendum and like you not sure it’s a good idea I think the result could be so tight again it would resolve nothing!

I think it all now depends on what labour decide to get behind he seems to be pushing for a customs union deal approach a sort of Norway deal. But I think getting that through Parliament will be hard. I really can’t call it right now. I do know one thing though, if it ends up with an longer extension I plan to do everything in my power to make my permanent move to France within that time frame. My biggest issue currently is the house price stagnation. I have a big mortgage I want to get rid of and a little equity in the house. About £35k currently but it’s which way that goes in the next 12 months that could make the decision difficult. If I stuck with my original 4 yea plan I have to pay off another £48k off the mortgage, but how much of it would I recoup in 4 years in the housing market goes south? Or do I take what I have now and run!

I’m going to start a new thread on here to help me understand the true cost of French living that may help my decision making considerably

Not a good idea Brian, you might not like what you find out.

Start with expensive and work from there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I’m under no illusions Mick, I know the cost of living is high, but it’s important for me and I’m sure many others to understand this so David and I can properly plan our futures.

I’ve done a fair bit of research before this point I know building materials are expensive and goods and services to and stuff in shops, cars etc. But it’s hard to pinpoint true costs. I want to understand the real cost of utilities etc as it will help me narrow down the choices I go with for heating, hot water, sewage, vehicles etc. Also the cost of health insurance that’s one I’m really struggling to nail, as I have a chronic condition so hard to work out if I’d get 100% back etc. We plan to live a very simple frugal life, nothing fancy growing our own fruit and veg, chickens, making our own bread etc so it’s working out our true day to day costs I guess, would do we need to live on annually. I will be drawing down my Civil Service pension so it’s at what point I do that to make the move sustainable.

And then double it!

Understand, we can go into more detail when you start a new thread.

The UK cost of living is not exactly small right now. Over the last 2-3 years I have seen significant increases in the cost of living.

My mortgage £1026 a month!
Food average £100-120 a month
TV/phone/internet £116 a month + £12 month TV licence
Electric £56 a month
Water £31 a month
Home insurance £38
Council Tax £88 with 25% single living deduction
Mobile + tablet £55 a month.

So would be interesting to see the comparisons for these but I’ll start that new thread now

1 Like

Well my 79 year old dad is marching tomorrow along with my 76 year old mum.

10 Likes