Brexit Vote, what next!

If that is the case it must be time to remove her from the equation.

1 Like

Yes, but that bloody Tory no confidence vote renders her immune until the end of the year.

I am sure that pressure is being applied but for the time being we are stuck with a prime minister whose sanity has left the building.

AFAIK only a parliamentary vote of no confidence in the government can force her out - and the odds are that the Tories would still win that.

“Kennedy has therefore proposed a simple solution to ensuring that the UK cannot leave the EU without a deal. Having consulted with a former top parliamentary counsel – one of those boffins who do the actual drafting of bills – she has come up with a straightforward solution for ensuring that the UK cannot leave the EU deal-less.

The Kennedy Bill has two clauses. But only one counts (the other is a formality and extends the bill across all the nations making up the UK). Clause 1 is simple and effective. Under the heading, “Revocation of notification of intention to withdraw from the European Union”, it states:”

“The Kennedy Bill, or something like it, is long overdue. MPs can regain control of Brexit by ensuring it is passed. If parliament put its weight behind it, it could become law in a day. The government is at a cross roads. An online petition calling for Article 50 to be revoked has, within a matter of hours, already topped a million signatures. It is the fastest online petition in UK history. The same number are likely to turn up at the People’s Vote march on Saturday. Governments ignore these numbers at their peril.”

At the moment, our future is in Theresa May’s hands. It’s time for her to revoke Article 50 and give us the final say on Brexit.

*Sadiq Khan

I Paul, I would not assume she is safe, if a vote of no confidence is called. Even if every Tory voted for the party to stay in office, which is not guaranteed I think there are some hardline remainers and ERG leaver who could vote to collapse the Government after her outburst the other night. But even if she did win over the Tory’s I do not feel she can count on the DUP at this point. With her blindly pushing towards a no deal Brexit with her deal being dead in the water, the DUP will be very keen to avoid that scenario as it means big trouble for them. They could walk away from the confidence and supply agreement quite easily at this point. If May then looses that vote of no confidence, she has to stand down as PM and the torries have to find a new PM (no easy task getting them to agree on a new leader) and be able to form a majority government or prove they can govern as a minority one, both scenarios are very unlikely. At the same time this is going on the opposition parties will also be able to try and form a majority or prove they have the support in the house for a minority government. Then I think the Civil Service step in to confirm who can form a credible government and the The Queen invites that leader to become prime minster. If they can’t get agreement a general election will be called! And that really will be a spectacular event the outcome of which I feel no one can call at this moment in time! I do passionately believe May won’t last the week out next week. If she tries to remain in control of this process I can foresee, finally a Cabinet revolt and a lot of resignations coming next week. I think it’s going to be brutal!

I can still see a day when Article 50 gets revoked :partying_face::crossed_fingers:t2:

Re a motion of no confidence in TM it’s my understanding that, having already survived one already, she is immune to another for twelve months. Isn’t the only way to get her out is to rustle up a plank across the gunwale, blindfold her and get to walk along it? :scream:

If it’s a vote of no confidence in the government and that is lost, then we go to polls to elect another government

She’s immune to another vote to oust her as Tory leader because the party have lost confidence in her but the government could still have a vote of no confidence in parliament.

1 Like

The problem with that is it coukd lead to a General Election and Comrade Corbyn is not wanted by the electorate either.
It seems that the much vaunted first past the post system is now not fit for purpose and it is time to bring in proportional representation via single transferabke vote.

1 Like

Unfortunately it is Turkeys voting for Xmas when it comes to changing the UK voting methods.

Not exactly, it is more farmers voting for the creation of Turkey representation in the workplace.

The two incumbents are not going to support PR while they have parliament sewn up between them.

I can see more public demands for this to happen.
It might not be soon, but it must happen.
With the emergence of the Independent Group and the shenanigans of the ERG group, the Tory Party is facing a huge loss of support.

The petition to revoke article 50 and stay in the EU has just gone over 5 million…no signs of slowing down yet…x :slight_smile:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

1 Like

And another 2000 people have signed it since I just posted 5 minutes ago…x :slight_smile:

If it reaches 5 million and 70,000 by 5 o clock it means there are roughly 1000 people per minute signing the petition to revoke…x :slight_smile:

Edited to add 5 million and 70,000 plus at 17.04…x :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Currently standing a shade over 5.15 million, new signatures dropping to 600 per minute though. Mind you if it keeps that up it’s still 864k per day.

I think it will start to slow down, be interesting to see if it manages 10million but I think it will fall short of that.

1 Like

How long would it take to get to double that Paul…??? What with the strength of feeling at the minute I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it does…x :smiley:

Interesting and worryingly predictable :-

Project Truth.

1 Like

So, May won’t put her deal up to the vote again, but won’t commit to honouring the outcome of any indicative votes, and definitely won’t run a further referendum (or presumably anything which would require us to hold EU elections).

Offered more road the only plan she can come up with is to kick the can again, until it eventually drops off the precipice.

1 Like