Brexit, what Brexit?

why assume that @tim17? If I apply for French Nationality and I achieve that milestone, I will be entitled to keep both passports…

I really don’t think you can extrapolate behaviour at a private club as an example that animosity to foreigners doesn’t exist in France. Racist and xenophobic animosity is usually directed at strangers, as most people abide by social conventions and don’t say hurtful things to people’s faces.

Anti-foreign sentiment is well documented, so the fact that you have not experienced it really doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.

Well, about 90 folk from all walks of life… seems a reasonable selection… and, in any case, it is not just them.

We needed to eat before the meeting and could not find a bistro/brasserie which could offer food (too early in the evening they told us). we tramped around getting really miserable.

Finally, at Café de la Place, Perigueux, I explained our predicament and the owner (himself) made us up a platter of delicious nibbles. He explained (in his best English) that it was too early for the chef, but he could not bear our suffering… :relaxed: :relaxed: We spent an enjoyable couple of hours chatting/nibbling… generally having a great time…

I truly have not come across any animosity aimed at us … bewilderment and concern, yes, but not animosity…

Folk are astounded/confused/angry even at the UK govt… but not towards us…

1 Like

I thought we were talking about anti-Brit feelings due to Brexit…

In the general sense, there has always been and always will be some “anti-foreigners” feeling in each and every country… sadly so…

His assessment is spot on from beginning to end. I’ve been fit to be to tied every time I listened to Johnson boasting about his against the odds “renegotiated” deal when all he did was throw the DUP under a bus (their natural habitat anyway) and accept the deal May had negotiate a year earlier.
We’ve more of that ahead of us as each worsening Brexit economic impact is hailed by Johnson and the British poodle press as a major negotiating triumph. Then having ruined the economy and blighted millions of lives he’ll be reelected.

Stark, bald lies are the new truth.

I’ve British and Irish citizenship and have had all my life. My first passport was British but I’ve held both pretty well all my life. Now I think it would be an interesting exercise, and given my long love of France, the honourable thing to do to apply for French citizenship. I just need the time to start assembling my dossier.

Well this is what Norman said…

He didn’t say anti-British, so I took it to mean what he wrote.

I notice the animosity is generally directed at classic Porsche owners, we slightly batty Morgan aficionados are welcomed anywhere that we can actually make it to. The Porsche folk all take it very seriously, I mean, for some warmed over Beetle with lethal swinging arm suspension. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
No matter what the delightful Denis Jenkinson wrote.

2 Likes

But you hate the UK and state you’ll never return Graham so why would you want to keep a British passport?

1 Like

Think it’s called keeping ALL options open; one never knows what lies ahead, what changes in personal circumstances there might be - or international situations. I’m very fortunate - a British citizen with with British and Irish passports I’ve got my options open (sorry if that sounds smug - not meant to be).
Please don’t ‘hate’ the country of your birth; it gave you an education - and the freedom - to live your life without too much hardship. There are far worse countries in which to be born. The UK wasn’t, and isn’t, a country to be ‘hated’; the establishment, politicians, media maybe - but not the people. Until you have spoken in depth to those who voted ‘leave’ then maybe you don’t understand their reasons for doing so.
If you have children, or grand-children, have you asked them about unemployment in many eu countries; or the eu army - and the conscription to that which will inevitably happen; do you feel happy about that ?
The eu is continually evolving, the ‘ever closer union’ is something that many european citizens are becoming very unhappy about; we’re not talking the status quo here - it’s the way the eu will look and operate in 10 years time that the ‘remainers’ never talked about did they ?

2 Likes

Oh my word… Brexit, what Brexit?? what indeed…

Sorry if I am mixing things up… :upside_down_face:

I’m glad that I obviously live in an almost perfect haven in France and only meet the best and kindest folk of all nationalities… :hugs: (perhaps the baddies are hiding from me)

I treat each and every person I meet, as I would hope they will treat me and have rarely been disappointed.

Reading about ghastly racist/violent/whatever happenings in France and elsewhere (webnews)… The world seems to have gone mad. Thankfully, we are hanging onto our sanity (by the skin of our teeth) and will continue to do so for as long as possible…

I’m putting Brexit on the back-burner… :wink:

1 Like

Please tell me more about this mythical EU army.

I think it is still mostly a Leave fabrication.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. I was hoping that Anne Smith might have some concrete evidence for this inevitable happening.

I wonder this is why so many of the ex-British Forces personnel that I know, via FB, have been so pro Brexit. I would have thought that they would have been looking forward to Britain playing a major part in defining the EU’s future defence plans.

I have seen the same, on discussing it with a friend he sees Brexit as a show of independence and confidence in UK (even pro Empire!) - a pro-EU stance to him is being a traitor.

Personally I think all of this is absolute tosh - also the inevitable hurt to the economy by leaving and withdrawal of freedom of movement is just very sad.

1 Like

because it’s my right… and until I have a French one, it is a necessary requirement to maintain it.
I’m sure you are not that thick @tim17 so why the mischievous tone?

Which is fine (well, apart from the Empire bit). I have no problems with people being pro-UK

Which is illogical, on all sorts of levels.

Thanks for the insult Graham, my guess is that your hatred of the UK is all yap and that when your passport is due for renewal you’ll exercise ‘your right’ once again. :wink:

1 Like

you’re welcome.
No different really to my DL; when it comes up for renewal I’ll get it done - even though I don’t now exercise the rights of the licence :thinking:
sotto voci: and as it’s a French one - it won’t expire until I do :crazy_face:
and in common with other Brits abroad I don’t expect much in the way of help and support from from Her Britannic Majesty’s puppet bunch of over paid clowns and court jesters.

3 Likes