Brexit--- what if

As Peter says - many of us are at work - my case and I'm checking my emails whilst having a break, work that is 100% french, 100% euros and nothing to do with the UK. If the UK ever did leave the EU, and I honnestly don't think it would, then I'd complete the naturalisation forms I have at home and Bob's your proverbial (like most here I qualify sans problème and am exonerated the language test part due to french qualifications etc.)

One thing did bother me though, Vernon and that's your last comment - you're insulting my OH, my kids and the rest of my French family and making a sweeping statement that I don't agree with as it is just that, or is it perhaps that you're reaping what you sow...?

I've only skimmed through (because yes, I'm working) but I'm intrigued - who has said they're "no longer British"? You said it's the majority of the verbose but maybe I missed something in my skimming.

Some of us have to work Vernon !

I notice that this thread has gone VERY quiet. I wonder if it's because you are all sitting back pondering the consequences of this inevitable referendum will mean to your finances? It is hilarious that the majority of the verbose on this forum spout forth that they are no longer British, but I'll bet that when France says "Go Home" (which of course it won't) you will all be quivering & wish that you had registered to vote in your homeland.

I love living in France with its SW climate but I can't say I love the racist bigoted local French. They smile when they take your money but spit behind your back!

It is almost inevitable that in June, when the 4 month Greek "Bailout" period expires that Greece will leave the Eurozone. If that happens, the Euro will crash overnight against other currencies which of course will cause much financial grief to those of us (not me) whose income is from only Euros.

Personally, for many selfish financial reasons I wish for the UK to exit the EU, which it has to fairly rapidly before the number of EU immigrants able to vote is less than the Anglo Saxon population of the UK!

The OP cut & pasted many quotes, but the question posed was "what happens to Johnny Brit living in France if the UK leaves the EU". The simple answer is that if you are already here & own a property - nothing!!!

Some 300,000 French people live in London. Approximately 600,000 live in the UK. Is the UK government of the day going to boot these people out? NO. Is the French government going to boot us out? NO - My income is entirely from the UK. Every Euro that I spend here on taxes, shopping, etc. comes from abroad. I don't cost Johnny Frenchman a centime....

Now, a different kettle of worms is unearthed.... If the UK leaves the EU what happens to the "EU Double tax Treaty"? That is the REALLY important question. How will changes impact on those of you who are lucky enough to own properties in both the UK & France? What will happen to the thousands of you running your cars on British number plates against the law - I see it every day - why don't the Gendarmes? (& invalidating any insurance that you may have).

What happens to the taxation of the thousands of people who have bought second homes in France & rent them out during the summer but don't declare the income to the French taxman? There are tens of thousands of you out there. Thankfully that will all stop this year when the British/French governments actually start sharing tax information.

Lets hope for an immediate in/out referendum this year.

I will finally say to the comments regarding the military, the UK cannot defend itself anymore. We have absolutely no navy. Of the two Aircraft Carriers one will not be in service until 2016 & the other - god knows when - but they won't have any jets to fly off them until at least 2020.

Good'ay

https://scontent-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/11084005_105...

Price of about three packets of fags these days in the UK.

He can't, he's dyspepsic !

Suits me.

Come on Vernon, spit it out... ;-)

Sshhh...

The silence is deafening!

Vernon - A man of few words...

In the actual breakdown into localities, parts of UK cities such as Liverpool, Manchester, Salford and Glasgow fall well below the poorest in most other countries including, of course, Bulgaria or Romania. In a couple of popular newspaper comments pages I have infuriated people by showing that state pensions in the UK are lower than Bulgaria (goes down like a lead balloon that) and that the benefits that so many people apparently swarm to the UK to collect bountifully are among the hardest to access and lowest payments. The usual rebuttal is that some countries have periods of time before people can claim, as indeed the UK does have unbeknown to most people, and that the UK is perfectly entitled to make that longer according to the much maligned EU social legislation governing it. Then, of course, the same countries picked as example also DO give social support immediately, where required, so in those countries just like the UK genuine refugees, asylum seekers and increasingly trafficked bonded labour (slaves in actual fact) who are 'rescued' are all given subsistence and assistance. They become sitting ducks for bigoted opinions that stereotype them as the epitome of the scrounging foreigner, overlooking the fact that the majority of European countries are actually far more generous than the UK.

But back to the poorest places topic. the demographics do not show them to be ghettos filled with illegal aliens but are majoritywise local people in areas with low employment because successive governments (not just one party either) have not only killed off industry and commerce, but have also sold the 'family silver' that once employed those people.

A little bit of information would dampen the appetites of some of these anti-EU (often other countries generally) campaigners for separation and isolation, but they seem to have cloth eyes and ears so simply refuse to learn or accept facts, but still think that their version of the world is the bees' knees.

All I can say Jane is that you are not wrong and that I look forward to some of the more swivel-eyed loons putting their feet firmly in it as they become more vociferous, which I suspect they will.

I wonder how the invisible man in question, not having seen what he said but guessing the tone from your reply, actually survive here???? The 'expat' post has gone into some of this and probably, quite rightly, comes down to being indecisive about the question albeit it heavily weighted toward many people not identifying with the terminology. Good old Dordogneshire does seem to be a bit odd in that some long term residents encountered seemed quite shocked that apart from this and my working language, I live mainly in the Francophone world. That is not to say that we do not have friends and acquaintances from elsewhere, indeed they include Dutch more than others, even a Pole or two and some 'Brits' including Mischlings. It does not disturb any of us. Now and again I put on a kilt and swan around, often giving people good reason to grab phone or camera and increasingly for selfies. Some of us also arrange Burns Night celebrations with all of the ceremony, haggish and neeps. It is all fun, not deadly serious.

On that score, the French partner of an SFN partner who lives between you and I, sat at this house and sang Flower of Scotland word for word perfect. I bet a Euro to a centîme that given the challenge of giving Jerusalem or the National Chrysanthemum a shot, he and I would both fail dismally. Mind you, I don't do La Marseillaise very well, so OK...

Decrying all that is wrong because of 'b****y foreigners' and all that goes in that ragged bundle seems to overlook what one is oneself when away from that which they hold so precious. It is a 'not having your cake and eating it too' situation in which sense and sensibility go out of the woodwind whilst the cake goes stale. Sum ergo, up pops a fresh kipper to remind us about the cake, perhaps try to save it by reheating it, but cannot understand that stale remains stale and that the vast majority do not want a slice. A useful metaphor perhaps, but one that shows the ridiculousness of the contradictions lashed out as reasons for X, Y and Z that bear no relation to life on Earth.

Then those people wonder why they are always in arguments and sometimes disliked!

What we need to avoid is Cameron pandering to his right wing because of the supposed threat from UKIP.

The UK is not the only nation which would like to look again at problems caused by over bureaucracy in the EU and to make it seem as though it is is disingenuous.

The latest official figures say that immigrant workers make a positive contribution to the British economy, a fact which UKIP chooses to ignore.

A staff member of the UKIP candidate for Folkestone has been caught by The Sun blatantly fiddling expenses and claiming that it was one way of repatriating money back to Britain. Nigel Farage has changed his policy on putting a cap on immigration, his major point of appeal to the non-thinking classes.

I feel sure that there will be more bear traps coming up for UKIP before this electioneering is out and the public will see them in their true light.

Oh dear whatever his name was seems to have vanished in a puff of purply blue smoke which makes for a bit of a non-sequitur and Vernon is a complete blank.

I can see why you might not be the most popular kid on the Dordogne block. Your Woolworth store closed because it had become a relic of another age burdened by high business rates on sites which had become ineffective. Ever see a Woolworth store on an edge of town shopping centre? No they simply lost the plot. I suppose that you are probably Right leaning in your politics; well those Polish and Portugese stores are part of "THE FREE MARKET" they are demonstrating "ENTERPRISE" so valued by Wee George and the Cameroons. Those EU citizens are also paying their taxes and NI contributions and supporting the British economy. Our experience of living for several years in the Gironde not the boonies of Dordogne is completely different to yours I'm pleased to say. Marine is a better looking version of the odious populist Farage but just as shallow.

Pleased to say that this discussion group unlike others where you might feel more at home does not delete posts willy nilly so you're wrong again.

He makes a very interesting case on two points. It is one I agree with. Leaving the EU would leave the UK at the mercy of the EEA, 27 of the 30 members would be EU countries, the other three EFTA members. The UK would not fare well with them although the likes of Farage say otherwise.

The human rights issue is pathetic. The ECHR was largely drawn up by lawyers from England after WW2, the convention and court are part of the Council of Europe, not EU as people believe. It existed in the 1950s (convention came into effect in 1953 and the court exists since 1959), well before the ESCA that preceded the EEC, then EC and finally EU or the Treaty of Rome (1957) laid out the map for the EU to come to be. The ECHR has 47 signatories which is to say every European country except Belarus.

Out of the EU and the EHCR the UK becomes an isolated pariah state, little of the trade the separatists believe, manufacturing sector depleted by large corporations leaving and large parts of the City finance sector. In short, massive capital flight. There would be nothing worth going back to.

I would simply apply for French nationality or even Swiss since I am apparently entitled to. That is unless Scotland which is pro-EU and does not want out either, have a new and successful referendum or simply declare UDI which is not ruled out on the EU matter.

It is a mess in the making. Dominic Grieve may be laying it on a bit thick, but it is madness if it ever happens.