Brit ferry discount card

BARGAIN OFFER ALERT 50% OFF BRIT FERRIES ‘CLUB VOYAGE’ MEMBERSHIP

In essence they have scrapped the joining fee.

Don’t for the life of you try calling the UK number. After a ‘call back’ failed on a 30 mins wait estimate I called back after an hour to be told the wait time was 5 hours!

At time of this post the deadline is

So how much is left as net cost?

I paid €75 for a 12 month sub. At least, I hope the clock starts ticking from today not 1st Jan. Must check. But it is £60 saved.

Does not seem bad at 75. istr we tried it a couple of years for £55 but that was probably more than 2 decades ago.

One thing we did struggle with was it was very hard at that time to predict what the post-membership discount price would be on any sailing - and sometimes it seemed not to be very much at all.

But at 75 euros I can’t see how you could go wrong.

The discounts are less these days - unless you had a Club Voyage membership from before the change and have kept up the subscriptions as I have.

Back in the day you could pretty much break even on one sailing as the cost of the membership plus a discounted crossing was about the same or even a little less than the undiscounted crossing - I don’t think that’s the case any longer.

1 Like

No it definitely isn’t!!! I bought a subscription for a friend a couple of years back and the nice lady on the phone explained that the discounts were less than I was getting (which is why I’ve kept mine going, although it’s rather expensive when you aren’t making any trips :smiley: )

I just looked at some crossings I might need to book in May. They both had exactly 30% discount applied, which amounted to £88.20 across the two singles i.e. more than the cost of the subscription.

As I do at least 3 return crossings per year I’m quids (in this case) in.

I’ve been a Club Voyage member for a very long time.

So have I - the discounts are very worthwhile. Not quite so much for new members though…

My method of getting a cheaper fare on Brittany Ferries is to travel with DFDS via Newhaven/Dieppe. :smiley:

Usually half price or less.

3 Likes

I’m fully aware of their pricing but have no wish to drive a lot further on both sides of the channel.

2 Likes

Apologies for teasing you, I realise that Caen-Portsmouth is a more practical option for many folks… :slight_smile:

1 Like

And for some of us, Cherbourg-Poole is even better :smiley:

1 Like

That’s cheating. :smiley:

Much more convenient though. Unfortunately it tends only to run in the summer these days. In the past it was great as the crossings were short and at a civilised time of day. Still short but…

1 Like

I have seen the light! And it’s paid off

Instead of banging my head against the brick wall (timing and fares) of Portsmouth to Caen I have discovered P/mth - St Malo.

Dep 20:15 Arr 08:00. Standard fare €226 + €7 for a seat.

Card member: Paid €148 inc. :smiley:

Drive home only +20 mins on Ouistrehem - Vire with “On your left, Mont St. Michel”

1 Like

Starboard out, port home? :slight_smile:

Normally it’s more expensive than Portsmouth-Caen and there’s no way I’d want to do an overnight in a seat.

I’d use that route more though, if the evening departure were not so early - it just doesn’t work for us as, even if the car were packed & ready to go, there isn’t enough time to leave work at 5pm and get to Portsmouth for just gone seven.

Well done captainendeavour.

Good to use St Malo while it’s open as it only runs part of the year. It would suit us too except it’s not everyday and we had the same kind of timing problems as billybutcher.

Friends of ours loved the route as they could come most of the way South here on good roads without having to touch a motorway. It took them 7-8 hours which is the same time as needs motorway to do from the more Northern ports.

I suspect you got lucky with the fare on a very early season crossing.

Good to know that even though Brittany Ferries couldn’t be relied on (for us) to give much off for membership a lot of the time, with diligent searching and flexibility there are some opportunities.

I don’t spend all night in the seat. Suitably equipped, it’s kipping down on the floor!

I’m fortunate to be staying with friends 90 mins from Pompey.

Indeed. The road trips are brilliant both ends.

I couldn’t stand up for 12 hours… can one stay in the car ??? :wink: