Britain at its best…

I think it’s equally awkward for a man to be on the receiving end of unwelcome advances and leering, but I guess more common for women, and that’s why the problem for men gets far less attention unfortunately.

2 Likes

Yes, and the same goes for domestic violence. The fact that it is overwhelmingly done by men to women and children doesn’t negate the fact that there is violence done by women to men. But it isn’t equivalent in frequency.

4 Likes

I didn’t know whether to be proud, shocked or intimidated when a female colleague at work (back in the 70s/80s) told me I had recently been voted “Rear of the year”. It rather put all the interactions, casual conversations about the weather, rugby, the town, the actual work, meetings, friendly smiles and camaraderie into perspective.

2 Likes

True story Vero, a very good mate who sold up and moved back to the UK for health reasons was a victim of physical abuse by his ex wife. It doesn’t happen very often but it does happen.

1 Like

Two true stories.
The first happened about twenty years ago when I was working on a golf course. I played a few holes after work and was joined by a middle aged lady . After a few holes she said I had a lovely bum. I was too shocked to reply !

The second happened about ten years ago in the Lidl in Confolens (16). I was shopping when I felt someone nipping my bum. I turned around and saw a lady in her 70s in a wheelchair who smiled and said « ooh sorry, I just couldn’t resist »

1 Like

There’s a better meme on the topic, but I can’t find it right now.

meme

1 Like

I worked with someone would would sometimes come in with some quite nasty cuts & bruises. He & his wife were both being unfaithful & she’d set about him with frying pans, rolling pins etc.

Agreed it’s much more usual t’other way round. :frowning:

I have been helping recently to train student police officers with role play. We have used male and female victims and a same sex couple

You miss so much why are you here?

I think it’s natural to miss things from places you have lived previously, but prefer where you are now

2 Likes

On the basis that a picture’s worth a thousand words, this is why I’m here …
September on the beach

Our cottage/gite

Our house

Part of our garden

The lateral canal

The view from our garden along our valley to a distant chateau.

6 Likes

Absolutely. I adored living in Brazil. I was home-sick for the UK (sometimes) when living in Brazil in the 70s and then desperately “home-sick” (saudades) for Brazil when I went back to the UK. At that time (which was tough) I sometimes wished I’d never travelled because there was always a part of me hankering for elsewhere.
I love the UK, I love London, I love Brazil, I love here. I am fortunate to have experienced all of this.

3 Likes

Yes suppose so there were wonderful things about London and beyond. Lovely villages with real tea rooms

And English cakes.

I was at a great feast with neighbours last night …about 30 of us and one lady said too me that there was

No such thing as British cooking.

Wow I laughed and cried at the same time rejecting her intolerable declaration.

I miss real tasty British dishes and cook them sometimes.

But I do miss the good British chefs who can cook the socks off the French ones.

And a few more reasons why, although I can be homesick for the UK occasionally, I still love living in France.

4 Likes

Cluny Market is not a patch on Stroud Farmers’ Market.

Apart from Borough market there is nothing in England that is a patch on Stroud Farmers’ Market!!

1 Like

I wonder if that market still exists as you remember it? Banbury used to have a huge market every Saturday that spilled over int adjacent streets. Now there are (pre-covid) 5 or 6 stalls.

I have a friend in Stroud who regularly extolls its virtues.

1 Like

Some particular UK favourites for me:-

The Scottish Highlands and Islands (I was brought up near Loch Lomond, which almost counts as Highlands)

Clotted cream teas (first the cream then jam on top!)

Ceremonies like the Armistice Day at the Cenotaph, Trooping the Colour, Changing the Guards

Certain British humour, especially the type that can laugh at ourselves (Monty Python)

The chimes of Big Ben

It was all going so well until you said first the cream then the jam on your scone…

1 Like