Britain Bullshit

Quite the opposite, indeed. To maintain heading, with the wind on the other side. Can refer to tacking or gybing.

I think that having grown up in a country (the UK), and being familiar with its history, its politicians, its traditions, its habits, and having a broad (and in some cases detailed) view of the economic, cultural and demographic conditions in its various regions, it is difficult not to regard, consider and criticise, if necessary, what is now going on over there (and Brexit of course). Very much more so if you have family in the UK.

Those of us now living in another country have grown accustomed to the way things are, in France and elsewhere in Europe, and how things are done differently. The stark contrasts between the French approach and the lax approach to the crisis in the UK at this moment are extremely worrying - for me at least.

3 Likes

Can refer to gybing, also. Thus, maintaing heading either upwind or down.

Lee ho!

Why are they worrying you? They are not affecting you, if you are not there. There’s nothing you can contribute in practical terms to assist, unlike the possibilities open to you locally. I am very touched by the offers of help coming from the two 20-something women in the flat below.

I agree it is difficult but there is heat in the comments above more appropriate to people living in UK. Step back. What happens in UK is almost certainly of less consequence to those of us not living there than what happens in the USA. Bojo may be making a mess in UK but Trump could do very serious damage to the country that stands at #1 in the world in many departments.

Of course they are affecting me, my close family is there. I have been thinking for a while about why we spend time discussing a place where we don’t live, and my post was simply the result of my musings.

2 Likes

At first I was somewhat embarrassed to call 'Lee hoo! but that’s the call and not to make the call, loud and clear as you put the helm over, can result in serious injury or death.

The wife of one of my berth-holders came ashore looking very under the weather - pretty much tottered to the car and slumped in the seat.

When the husband came ashore from mooring up I asked him about his wife.

“Errr … yes. Got caught a nasty blow when the boom went across. Out cold for some minutes. Must get her to the doc”

When I spoke to the wife she said, "I can’t really remember what happened but I do recall that the first thing I saw when I came to was my husband leaning over me saying, “This hasn’t put you off, has it?”

Ah… As I mentioned earlier, family is key. Otherwise, it’s pretty much wiseacreing. Or innocent indoor entertainment until somebody gets offensive, which has come close a couple of times in this thread.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you!

1 Like

This crisis will bring out the best and worst in people, youngest son did a 24 hour pompier shift (yesterday/today) and whilst his team were on a call thieves broke into the station in La Rochelle and stole several sets of protective kit that was only delivered on Wednesday.

1 Like

Perhaps you don’t know how to sail Dan. :grinning:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/come_about

It’s a PANdemic.
The UK is dragging its feet in taking action and it’s one of the few affected countries that hasn’t closed its borders.
Of course its near neighbours are worried.

2 Likes

That is despicable.

I think you tack upwind, and gybe downwind :wink:

2 Likes

My brother and his wife are frontline nurses in Australia (NSW). He reckons that the government’s response until very recently has been woefully inadequate, especially given that peak infection rate is likely to fall during their winter season when they are the most stretched.

2 Likes

There is serious talk in the UK of early registration of third year student nurses to help in the crisis

Too little too late.
The consequences of the Tory cuts are coming home to roost as predicted they would but the arrogant buggers just wouldn’t listen.

2 Likes

I thought that a change of tack is known as ‘Jibing’.

That is when you turn away from the wind. Tacking/going about is through the wind. And it’s spelled with a g.

Indeed you are correct. Long time since I was last at Cowes.

1 Like