British beach invasions

Predictable I’m afraid, wasn’t it? Somehow I doubt that the Brits running to book package deals to the med coast of Spain will be the best advertisement for the UK.

Though I can’t say that I’m not pleased as it increases the chance I’ll be able to get to the house at the end of July.

2 Likes

But if you are Scottish or Welsh you don’t get to travel to France etc. Since health is devolved to those countries they’ve stuck - so far - to telling people to stay local.
In Scotland you are only allowed to travel 5 mls for leisure etc.
And since Holyrood/Nicola says don’t travel Scots hit issues with getting travel etc insurance and if they go anyway and end up requiring medical etc treatment abroad (for any reason ) there seems to be dubiety about the uk/Scottish health authorities picking up any tab.

maybe the time has come for a massive shock for the under-thirty fives (q) no health care or cover from state resources; you chose to ignore the warnings - well live or die with the consequences; i see no justification at all for health workers to put themselves at risk for the already brain dead! yes i do see the risks of ‘revenge infecting’ but what would be the difference from what they doing now (q)
new use for these appalling croissier ships - pack them wth these idiots and let them kill each other; i have lost patience with them; live like cretins, then die like cretins; there are no excusesany more;

1 Like

Most people commenting on this forum are in the older age groups - I think we have to be careful not to be unfair to younger people. They are NOT at significant risk themselves from coronavirus - less than 1 in 5000 teenagers with the disease will even have to go into hospital, let alone into intensive care etc. For 80-year-olds hospitalisation is running at about 1 in 5 of cases.

Young people are social distancing etc not for themselves, but for us.

At the same time, it is young people that are bearing most of the economic consequences - especially in the UK, where 1 in 3 young people have been furloughed or lost their jobs completely, and over a further 1 in 3 have had their pay reduced (well over 4 times the rate for older people in work - let alone pensioners etc). Moreover, younger people tend to be the least able to survive the economic crisis - they are more likely not to have savings to fall back on, to be still paying rent or a mortgage, etc, etc…

2 Likes

Young people can’t have it both ways Geof, it’s the ‘young’ that are driving the climate change debate and the BLM protests and they demand that we the ‘older’ generation listen to them as they are the future, along comes Covid-19 and they don’t want to conform because they’re ‘young’ and of course the ‘young’ rebel.

1 Like

I don’t think massive generalisations help

5 Likes

But, taking your rubbish home takes thought and responsibility :thinking::woman_shrugging:

1 Like

It wouldn’t happen in France. The toilets and car parks would be open and there would be rubbish bins available by the beach.

The council is more than a little to blame in thinking shutting public conveniences and other services would stop people coming.

Would the toilets and car parks be open,even when pandemic precautions are still supposed to be in place

That is one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen on here. And I have seen a few.

Thank goodness that young people are protesting and campaigning for change.

And I don’t know where some of you get your information from, but as the parent of a load of under 30’s, I can assure you that they are the responsible mask wearing group and that (at least round here) it is the 35 to 55 group who seem to think they are invincible.

I get feedback about SF being full of busy bodies and old farts and with some of the generalisations in this thread, all I can say is that it’s not surprising.

1 Like

I agree, my three children have been ultra careful throughout.

2 Likes

Thanks for that Cat, this thread is about the UK where ‘the young’ have been causing all sorts of problems with illegal raves and house parties etc let alone invading beaches and celebrating Liverpool winning the league.

1 Like

Quite agree there will be both stupid young and old people! I think the British suffered from a lack of clear guidance at the outset.

1 Like

and mixed messages…

1 Like

I’m struggling with my 14 year old, they all think they are invincible and ‘too cool’ to wear masks, ongoing struggle!

I wonder if he is misunderstanding why the wearing of masks is being “suggested”… :wink:

I’m still hearing from some unmasked folk…
" it’s OK, won’t effect me… I rarely catch things…" :upside_down_face:

Please provide a link for more information re “blind to the abuses against non eu hgv drivers”

In relation to the beach invasion. Yes, it was senseless, it is not the best demonstration of social citizenship. But, is taking a “holier than thou” stance appropriate. In the UK on Friday I observed an east europaen tradesman throw his latex gloves onto the ground as he got into his vehicle. When I suggested(by gesture to the offending contaminated PPE) that he pick them up the reply was negative. Travelling through France I am sure that we have all observed fly-tipping. It has not reduced over the fourty years I have been visiting France. My point, individually we set an example and encourage others to act socially.
I live in Reading. You will have learnt of the fatal stabbings by an individual a week ago. Tributes are rightly paid. But, in paying tributes collectively social distancing was not observed.
In 2019 I observed the work of the gilet jaunes. Brixton last week witnessed terrorist activity ( I expect to be damned by some subscribers for using the word terrorist but how else can you categorise deliberate damage to property ) when the police attempted to disperse a street party - a pallet of sardine tins!
As in all nations there are good and bad. Society delegates law and order control to the enforcement authorities rather than depend on private militia that often “protect” the interest of suppliers of goods / services generally categorised as “illegal”. But these militia are not peculiar to Britain. Sadly, they are global and the “great unwashed” are prevented by political correctness from speaking out.

probably from the same sources as you catharine - the uk media; i don’t think many of us old farts go around inventing fake news; disappointing to realise this what you think of your core participants;

1 Like
  1. Please don’t assume regarding where I get my info from.

2. The UK media (with a couple of exceptions) is nothing BUT fake news. Ergo, if that is where you get your sources…

3. Please read my posts properly and do not put words in my mouth. ‘Feedback’ is the key word here.

note the use of the word probably catharine; plus does this mean you don’t believe the pictures of ‘raves’ etc, which seem the province of young people unless i am even more out of touch than i thought;

1 Like