British French “Resident” traveling back to France in the new year

Finally found the document which dates from October 2020. I am surprised I have not seen this referenced before. It was a meeting I am not sure how this translates to action at the border.

I’ll take a pic over the weekend when I find a minute!

Here’s mine - redacted as appropriate - to show the gold thingy on the back

gnome-shell-screenshot-UN8LV0

Out of interest, why is it so important not to have your passport stamped?

2 Likes

I must admit, i did wonder the same, we used to love having all the stamps in the passport.

1 Like

It appears to suggest that if the passport is stamped it is proof of NOT having WA rights and protection.

Actually, I don’t read it like that.

Surely, the passport will only be stamped … if the traveller cannot provide reasonable proof of Residency before Brexit (entitlement to WA) …

There has to be a decision… to stamp or not to stamp… and if reasonable documents are not available at the entry point… asking “why???” is not something for the border patrol to get involved in … they will simply stamp the passport.

1 Like

For the next year it will not matter at all as the computer scheme is unlikely to be up and running. But after that it will trigger a Schengen clock to start ticked, so some 90 days later your ID will flag up yiu have overstayed your welcome.

Easy enough no doubt to deal with if you are legal, but potentially tiresome. Imagine turning up for a hospital appointment and your ID triggering them to say you have to pay upfront, or can’t have the op. And then having to sort it out at a moment when yiu have other priorities.

1 Like

No you can’t. Many Maries won’t do this.

Have you been refused or is this hearsay?

I asked about a year ago as I needed it for the German authorities.

Its up to the individual maires, probably the smaller the commune the more likely they are to be amenable

Download it, print it off, explain “Brexit” drop it in front of the Maire and with a pleasant smile and pleading eyes, say “sign please”

1 Like

How could a marie sign that? It is about being a fiscal resident, and they can’t certify that. As others have said the most recent Avis d’impôt would probably do.

Try this one instead then…

1 Like

and it has the biometric symbol in the top left hand corner on the front (as the above Luxembourg one has next to the title “Titre de Séjour” . Just to confirm, I have one so I can see the symbol and chip first hand

1 Like

Thanks for that, Graham. When our mairie refused to give me an attestation de residence last year, the dragon on the desk told me I would have to write out a <<Déclaration sur l’honneur>> instead and I wasn’t at all sure how to go about it!

1 Like

Mine has a biometric icon - it was issued in 2017