British Tapas šŸ¤£

On a cheerful noteā€¦ re pigs and landscapesā€¦

As we drove by, it was nice to see the pigs wandering the hillside and (hopefully) enjoying the sunshineā€¦ despite the snow.
but it had me laughingly wondering whether they might enjoy some respite in a heated industrial unit, rather than their individual little houses which are dotted about across the land ā€¦

I was surprised to see several ā€œmumsā€ with umpteen pigletsā€¦ they didnā€™t seem to mind that it was at least -1c ā€¦ makes me wonder if pigs have internal central heatingā€¦ :rofl: :rofl: :wink:

1 Like

I always think of the savoury as sort of the British tapa

1 Like

Thanks,

Didnā€™t know the work, most of my books on landscape, place and wilderness are 1980s or later. Also apart from the English Lake District, most of my stuff is on post-colonial landscapes and rewilding. However I see itā€™s still a set text on many North American landscape architecture courses, so had a look and found a s/h hard back copy at a reasonable price.

I hope it may be useful too, as Iā€™m currently finishing a book for a German academic press on how in little more than a century perceptions of the Lake District changed from it being a dreadful wilderness to it becoming one of the countryā€™s most prized landscapes. Itā€™ll be interesting to read your recommendation and see how it relates to more recent studies.

Far from academically rigorous, but over the years weā€™ve been driving around Greece, weā€™ve noted how the landscape looked like it had been cultivated for a very long time. We could believe several thousand years. But of course itā€™s a rugged, terraced landscape, rather than rolling wheat fields or cattle farming.

Small field size can be an indicator of great age, the terraced fields of our village in the Lot Valley may be a thousand years old, or more. Theyā€™re tiny and are called mouchoirs. In many Lake District valleys one can often still see what looks like a continuous drystone wall running round the slopes at a height of a hundred metre or so. These were Viking ring garths that markeded the limits of their settlements

2 Likes