British Tapas šŸ¤£

Saw this posted online earlier and it made me giggle :rofl: ā€¦ But I kinda also want it.

5 Likes

Thought you were on a regime :rofl:

1 Like

I am :sob:

1 Like

Itā€™s all soā€¦ yellow. A rainbow from beige to honey :sweat_smile:

To think the rest of the world says British food is blandā€¦:rofl:

2 Likes

5 Likes

Haha :rofl:

1 Like

As per the late Terry Pratchett

ā€œSham Harga had run a successful eatery for many years by always smiling, never extending credit, and realizing that most of his customers wanted meals properly balanced between the four food groups: sugar, starch, grease, and burnt crunchy bits.ā€

And

ā€œā€¦ the food was good solid stuff for a cold morning, all calories and fat and protein and maybe a vitamin crying softly because it was all alone.ā€

4 Likes

I wish I hadnā€™t seen that!

Watched a NIgella programme yesterday full of lovely British food - proper pies, cakes, hotpots, kedgeree, etc etc

1 Like

Just to make a point, nothing wrong with eating fat. Since low fat was brought in by Ancell Keys sugar and high carb diets have killed thousands world wide.

2 Likes

So has chicken/fish bones :yum:, I could be tempted by British Tapas, just as a SF food taster/reviewer mind :wink:

A while back I knew a group of people who, when it was suggested we all brought lunch to share, would assemble something like that or even less appetising. Nothing was fresh, and everything was either deep fried or baked or processed commercially in some other way.

Iā€™ve always ignored supermarket party food, and just couldnā€™t understand why anyone would buy that stuff.

1 Like

Every Weds our international walking group has a picnic after the walk, most of the Dutch members, bring highly processed food bought in supermarkets. Itā€™s their cultural norm like the British. I think itā€™s very relevent that the Dutch were the first nation in the world to turn their entire country into farmland (apart from some areas of coastal sand dunes). and today they have a problem with over industrialised frming polluting their fields and rivers.

Even in France, most pork farming is super-industrialised - so I will only buy porc from small scale producteurs and preferably those who farm traditional breed, which may be smaller and grow more slowly but have lived foraging in forests rather than in some industrial pen.

3 Likes

The pigs fight back

4 Likes

I remember a (now too many decades old) Punch Christmas cartoon where ā€˜the wifeā€™ standing by the stove is asking, ā€œHave you killed the turkey?ā€ Meanwhile, through the kitchen door, one can see the husband being chased around the garden by an axe wielding turkey.

1 Like

I donā€™t get the connection. Intensive farms produce a lot of the basic food which makes the Netherlands a major food supplier/exporter. It is factories that create processed foods, of which the Netherlands also has in abundance because they produce and export so much food.

The Netherlands also has low obesity levels, and although my Dutch friends will bring out highly processed food this is only ever for a treat. The rest of their diet is just fine, if a bit heavy on dairy products,

It was the first country where effectively the entire topography was turned into ā€˜landscapeā€™ Thatā€™s why landscape painting was a Dutch invention and this historical process is a succinct metaphor for the industrailisation of their food production.

Today the Dutch have a very serious pollution problem with run-off from their very large intensive pig farms and are having to reduce the number of animals farmed in this way. Itā€™s a big problem in the Netherlands and very controversial.

Iā€™m slightly surprised that youā€™re apparently not up to speed on this Dutch eco -disaster 'cos youā€™re usually so well-informed.

Actually it dates from 4th c Chinese art.

Wonā€™t disagree, Iā€™m afraid I was thinking in terms of Wesern art history (but donā€™t know why).

OK this isnā€™t an excuse, but a rationale.

Technically ā€˜landscapeā€™ is terrain that has been modified by man (and women!) however traditional Chinese 'landscape ā€™ painting actually depicted mountainous wildernesses that had not been ā€˜tamedā€™ by cultivation or occupation , and so technically were ā€˜wildernessesā€™, not ā€˜landscapesā€™ in the Western sense of the term . Nevertheless, wilderness is a comparatively modern Western concept.

Happy to discuss these ideas further.

Will that do?

I was responding to your comment about your Dutch friendā€™s eating habits, not their countyā€™s agricultural policies.

Have you read the Landscape of Man by Geoffrey and Susan Jellicoe? Old, but a significant book. Starts with ancient Mesopotamia, and delves into how religion and perception shape views of landscape rather than tractors and JCBs.

1 Like